Cool…

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Cool…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ve seen that shot before, but I didn’t know it was Edgerton or how it was pulled off, so that was cool.

orionid
    Participant

Yeah, Edgerton did a lot for high speed camera development. The rapatronics used a heavy-duty coil spring to pull 100 feet of film through the exposure plane into a shielded casing in less than one second. Because of the high-voltage electronics involved (which were nothing new to Edgerton who also developed the arc-flash), later designs, intended to be safer used a constantly-open shutter with a pair of rotating prisms sychronized with the film movement and form the basis of most high-speed cameras today.

/comments bashing the author of the article withheld

chupathingie
    Participant

Sheesh… those clowns in the comments section make the FARK politics tab look like a Pulitzer laureate convention. Quite the collection of childish twits.

At times I wish we could detonate just one more nuke above ground, if only to train some state of the art cameras on it for the first 10ms or so. I look at that image and really want to see the whole development at microsecond intervals. Is there any way to see the magnetic field around that blast? I’ll add that to the wishlist as well…

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Is there any way to see the magnetic field around that blast? I’ll add that to the wishlist as well…

Spectropolarimetry would work. You could get the B field vector, as well as Zeman splitting from line widths, so you could get both the orientation and the strength of the field. If you’re using a multi-object spectrograph, you could get a whole map of the explosion in 4 dimensions: x,y, magnetic field, spectrum.

/Horray, for once astrophysics knowledge is useful for something!

orionid
    Participant

Sheesh… those clowns in the comments section make the FARK politics tab look like a Pulitzer laureate convention. Quite the collection of childish twits.

I’m not saying it’s justified, but every Gizmodo piece I’ve read by Jesus Diaz has been the same: under-researched, choppy, poorly written, and trying to make a point that has nothing to do with whatever inspired his piece. Frankly I’m surprised Gizmodo hasn’t canned him yet. Half the vitriol in the comments is him bashing the people calling him out on being a horrible author. The people who actually bring up fact contradictory to his article get deleted.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah the article was mildly interesting based around an awesome picture with so much potential. When I read the comments I couldn’t believe the rudeness in Jesus Diaz’s replies to commenters.

chupathingie
    Participant

That’s a great way to lose readers… reminds me of Antinous over at boingboing.

ravnostic
    Participant
    Farktographer
    Participant

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/14/slow-mo-video-catches-light-at-1-trillion-frames-second/

Yeah, speeds this fast would catch just about everything…

…wow.

swampa
    Participant

1 trillion frames a second … so if I took one seconds worth of images, it would take me 528 (and a bit) years to watch it all on a normal TV (assuming HD at 60 frames/s). That seems like a bit of overkill! 😛

orionid
    Participant

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/14/slow-mo-video-catches-light-at-1-trillion-frames-second/

Yeah, speeds this fast would catch just about everything…

O.O

*blink*

O.O

Holy Shit.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

While it doesn’t diminish it’s coolness any, the thing to keep in mind about this camera is that it’s not a trillion FPS in the traditional sense. The way I understand it, the shutter doesn’t cycle at a trillion FPS but rather takes a shot with a trillionth-FPS exposure time and then varies the trigger point over each repetition of the event being photographed to build a contiguous-in-space-but-not-time set of images. So the camera only works on events that are exactly repeatable (which they’re ensuring by using a high-precision laser pulse).

chupathingie
    Participant

Either way, what a demo! I always enjoyed super high framerate vids, but this is well up beyond the HFS class… that’s some stunning trickery right there…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Cool…’ is closed to new replies.