CS4 and NEF files

Forums Forums Get Technical Software CS4 and NEF files

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

my sister has a fairly new iMAC, CS4 and a D80. if she shoots an image in NEF and opens it with CS4 all is well. BUT when she tries to open an image shot with my D3000 in NEF … nada. she gets a “incompatible file format” message. or something similar.

when she was here for Christmas we took a lot of pictures. i made her a dual layer DVD of them which her iMAC won’t read at all. after the DVD was made we had a few more photos and i put them on a 1GB flash drive. i shoot in NEF (per you guys nagging me) and then batch convert to jpeg. this gives me both NEF and jpeg. she transferred the NEF and jpeg conversions to her HDD but CS4 won’t see the NEF just the jpeg.

any ideas?

orionid
    Participant

Go to the adobe website and download the latest copy of adobe raw.

Curious
    Participant

thanks but 1) she isn’t interested in downloading anything since she can use the jpegs for what she needs. 2) adobe doesn’t seem interested in adding new camera support to older versions.

from the reading i’ve done since posting the question it may be that the NEF plugin for CS4 doesn’t support the D3000 but does support the D80. no idea if that’s true since i have squat for knowledge about why nikon As NEF is/would be different from nikon Bs NEF. from reading a bunch of stuff on adobe’s site it seems they have to add compatibility for each new camera.

she was going to bring the D80 for this visit but decided not to. made doing side by side comparisons difficult 🙂

swampa
    Participant

It is Adobe’s way of forcing you to upgrade to newer versions. I hit the same issue using CS3 when I borrowed a friends G10 to use.

Oh yeah, you would like to use these newer versions? Go and download an update … oh sorry, the update only works on the newer Adobe RAW. Guess you will have to update the whole suite!

/I guess it sorta worked, I’m using CS5 now 😛 (not because of that though).

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Another option to consider is to download and install ufraw, which is free and reads a wide variety of raw camera formats. With it you can read the raw files and save them a JPEG, or even better PNG, format.

Curious
    Participant

Another option to consider is to download and install ufraw, which is free and reads a wide variety of raw camera formats. With it you can read the raw files and save them a JPEG, or even better PNG, format.

i did that to use with the Gimp since PS7 just laughs at NEF files. my sister can use the jpeg files and doesn’t really need the RAW/NEF.

today i remade her DVD as a single layer disc with jpegs only and it plays in three of my other computers so it should (fingers crossed) play in her iMAC.

orionid
    Participant

CS4 comes with Camera Raw 4.6 which does not support the D3000. The newest version compatible with CS4 is Camera Raw 5.7, which does support the D3000 and can be downloaded here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4683 as a free download. I use CS4 with CR5.7 and can read Kestrana‘s D5000 (which was included in the same update) with no problems.

Curious
    Participant

i’ll suggest she upgrade but won’t be surprised if nothing happens. she’s one of those turn it on and use it but don’t add anything folks. which is sad and unusual since the folks in her photo exchange group are always adding features. maybe she can get one of them to do the upgrade.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘CS4 and NEF files’ is closed to new replies.