D50 and macro mode

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks D50 and macro mode

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rdaw
    Participant

I have a D50 with the two kit lenses – the 18-55 and 55-200, if I remember correctly. My question is – what precisely is the macro (little flower icon) mode good for? I’m still constrained by the minimum focus distance on my lens, am I not? So why would I use this mode rather than full manual, get as close to minimum distance as I can, compose, and shoot?

I’m well aware that I may be missing something blindingly obvious – I have a healthy respect for my own ignorance…thanks for any and all help

Analogy
    Participant

I suggest looking at what automatic settings the camera picks for the same picture depending on the mode. Use a tripod for consistency.

My guess is that it tries to stop down the aperture for depth of field.

linguine
    Participant

I think its mostly a setting where the camera will pick shutter speeds/apertures that are good for close ups if you would rather let the camera set the exposure than do it manually. I usually just shoot in manuel mode on my d50 so I dont think Ive ever actually used the macro setting.

rdaw
    Participant

Looks like a fancy name for Automatic mode, then…but I guess if everyone else has a macro mode, you have to have one, too. I’ll stick to manual.
    Thanks for the help

3Horn
    Participant

Macro will actually give you some really nice effects on extreme-closeup subjects. I know that it’s not the cool kids’ way of doing things, but I’m mostly a green-box shooter. It’s really, really rare that I ever go to full-manual, I almost always let the camera control some part of the shooting. Here’s an example of the macro setting (with a lot of resizing to save on file size):

Analogy
    Participant

What shutter and aperture settings is the camera choosing in macro mode as compared to any of the other automatic modes? My guess is, like I said earlier, that the camera tries to stop down for extra depth of field.

rdaw
    Participant

What shutter and aperture settings is the camera choosing in macro mode as compared to any of the other automatic modes? My guess is, like I said earlier, that the camera tries to stop down for extra depth of field.

Nice pic, 3Horn – Bees worry me, so you’re braver than I. I’m sure my bee pics would be faux zoom ones as I backpedalled in a hell of hurry.
    Analogy – I think you’re right, but when i get some free time this weekend I’ll play and find out

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘D50 and macro mode’ is closed to new replies.