Darlot Project–we haz pikchurs!

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Darlot Project–we haz pikchurs!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

After working most of the night on the marriage of the 1879 (I had to look; that’s the correct year) A. Darlot petzval lens with my Canon xTi, I’m pretty much finished. There’s three screws that need to be affixed, but it holds together without them, so I’m off to find something interesting to shoot.

A picture of the lens:

The project set me back about $45 (the birch plywood in 1/64th and 1/32 inch thicknesses was costly, and the cookie press at $23 {includes shipping} was the most costly). I used the plywood to fabricate the ‘waterhouse’ stop mount. Here’s a picture of that:

There’s 20 different shapes that came with the cookie press, and they slip in and out of the bracket, which just slides into the lens body. A little electrical tape affixed over it prevents unwanted light from sneaking in, and I’ve painted them all flat black, as I did the white PVC and everything else inside.

The mount in no way affects the integrity of the ‘real’ lens portion, which was a ‘must-be’ requirement for me.

I’m off to try and find something photogenic–not going to be easy at high noon, but what-evar–who doesn’t go out and play with a new toy right away, anyhow? Should I actually like anything I shoot, I’ll post here later today. Meanwhile, a couple quick shots from the trials stage:

p.s.: manual focus is hard!!

nobigdeal
    Participant

Cool!!

Kestrana
    Participant

p.s.: manual focus is hard!!

Try taking pictures of small flowers with a 200mm macro lens while it’s windy and sprinkling. THEN manual focus is hard!

chupathingie
    Participant

Neat stuff… agreed on the manual focus! My eyes ain’t what they once were….

ravnostic
    Participant
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Darlot Project–we haz pikchurs!’ is closed to new replies.