desaturation when uploading to internet

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk desaturation when uploading to internet

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    monsieurstabby
    Participant

I’ve noticed that when I upload pictures to FB, flickr, & gmail they always get very desaturated, and reds turn orange. Anyone know what’s going on?

schnee
    Participant

I’ve sort of noticed that too. I’ve always chalked it up to JPEG-ery. JPEG is not lossless and my theory is that when I upload an already lossy JPEG to a host, that host re-compresses it (for resizing or just because it can) and during the recompression, the image shifts.

I haven’t researched the topic, however. A simple test would be to upload, download the uploaded and compare with the original.

sleeping
    Participant

Most web browsers are not color space aware, so usually this problem happens if you’re saving the image in a color space other than SRGB. To fix this in Photoshop CS3: Edit > Convert to profile > Select SRGB.

monsieurstabby
    Participant

thanks guys!

schnee
    Participant

Wow, I was just tweaking my workflow and wound up embedding the wrong profile. I didn’t notice it b/c I was viewing in color-space aware apps. Once uploaded, it was obvious.

ProPhoto RGB Colorspace:

sRGB Colorspace:

if they look darn similar, then you’ve got an interesting browser – one that is profile aware. On my Firefox, the ProPhoto one is much darker.

Bigger versions available here, but really, there’s nothing there that you haven’t seen before.

orionid
    Participant

Wow. Good to know.

Thanks, schnee! And thanks monsieurstabby for asking!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘desaturation when uploading to internet’ is closed to new replies.