DIY shaped bokeh filter questions

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware DIY shaped bokeh filter questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

So I decided to try and make a shaped bokeh filter.This is what I got.

3-3-2011 by lokisbong, on Flickr
    So a question? The outer stars seem to be getting cut off. Does that meen I need to make the “star” cutout smaller or larger? I have lots of the black materiel left to make it over.
    Here is a picture of the actual doodad.

bokeh filter by lokisbong, on Flickr

ennuipoet
    Participant

Well, I know what I won’t be doing this week 🙂

lokisbong
    Participant

Why not? I won’t complain too loudly if you get more votes than me. lol.

ravnostic
    Participant

I think the cut-off effect has to do with the light coming in from the sides hitting the edge of the lens frame; smaller would be better in that regard, as the stars could be closer to the edge of the frame; other than that, ‘crop’ comes to mind…

lokisbong
    Participant

Thanks ravnostic. I kinda thought it might be smaller would do better. I would rather remake the filter than crop. seems to me like I would have to lose almost half the image to get rid of all the partial stars and that’s just not acceptable to me. lol I will try remaking with a bit smaller cutout and see how it goes.

lokisbong
    Participant

Ok I made one with a few mm smaller hole and it seems to have less cut offs. Still a bit on the very outer edges but not bad. I did some searching on the webs for diy things like this and it seems to be a problem in more than half the pictures I looked at. I think the biggest challenge now is getting nice smooth edges on my cutouts. Every little flaw in the cutout shows up clearly in the picture.

sleeping
    Participant

Stopping down the aperture on your main lens might make a difference as well – you often see elliptical bokeh towards the edge of the frame when shooting wide open, and that looks kind of similar?

lokisbong
    Participant

I decided to experiment and it only makes the cut off worse after about 2.2 plus has the disadvantage of making the edges even more fuzzy looking like I did an even worse job cutting out the star.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

for mine, i made a barrel that slides over the lens. sealed it with black electrical tape.
    a bit cumbersome sometimes for focusing, but i don’t have to worry about light leaking in from the sides.

lokisbong
    Participant

for mine, i made a barrel that slides over the lens. sealed it with black electrical tape.
    a bit cumbersome sometimes for focusing, but i don’t have to worry about light leaking in from the sides.

I made my new and improved filter with a better fit to the uv filter ring and don’t get any light leaks and it is as easy as can be to use manual focus. I could make it even less likely to have leaks around the edges if I had another screw in ring from a different uv filter to act the same way the ring that holds the glass in place in the first place. I guess I could try to take apart the uv filter and put the cut out where the glass bit is now but I kinda like the little extra protection leaving the glass in affords.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘DIY shaped bokeh filter questions’ is closed to new replies.