dry mounting inkjet prints

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk dry mounting inkjet prints

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

i recently tried dry mounting some inkjet prints. the results were less than stellar. the finished project had noticeable degradation of the print surface. the gloss finish ended up both less glossy and with a texture. very fine but texture. i didn’t have real release paper but used parchment paper instead. tried it with and without a silicone release spray. neither stuck, both had texture. also both had tiny raised spots. just a few but you could feel them running your finger tips over the finished mounted print.

the prints were made on an epson R260 set at “photo” and printed on Royal Brites high gloss photo paper. the prints themselves were fine before mounting. the drymount press was set to 165 degrees for two minutes.

any comments would be appreciated.

Curious
    Participant

well that was interesting. just did two more trials using felt this time. half the photo was covered with parchment paper and then both that half and the remain half were covered with felt. “craft” felt from wal-mart. 165 degrees for two minutes and no texture in either test. however both these photos were rejects and had been air drying for at least two weeks.

will make two more prints, let them get dry to the touch, use a hair drier on one to further the drying and test both. in fact i’ll make three and let the third air dry for two weeks. wish me luck, i’d sure like to solve this and be able to use the dry mount press.

staplermofo
    Participant

After reading that, the only thing I understand is that I’m lucky that prints from Adorama are good enough for me.

Curious
    Participant

having just finished the second test here are the results. two photos air dried in the oven with just pilot light heat for an hour and a half. test photo one half covered in parchment paper then the entire photo (and parchment paper) covered in felt. 165 degrees for 2 minutes. slight sticking of the felt area but very little texturing. the parchment covered area didn’t stick but textured like crazy. it’s really not all that bad but it’s noticeable, knocks the gloss down a good deal and reduces sharpness. not what you’d want.

the second photo was felt covered only. felt stuck slightly and left a fine texture. not real noticeable but there if one looks. the photo is now a slight bit less glossy but still sharp. had done another print of the same photo as a control.

so the lesson here is print your inkjet photos with as little ink as possible to get a good finished result. then let them dry ….. and dry ……. and dry. then mount them. we all knew inkjet took a while to fully dry. maybe just not how long.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘dry mounting inkjet prints’ is closed to new replies.