EXIF data reader

Forums Forums Get Technical Software EXIF data reader

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

EXIF data readers were discussed briefly someplace on farktography but I can’t find that post. What are some good free readers?

soosh
    Participant

irfanview does a pretty good job with reading exif, but it’s not an exif editor.

zeke
    Participant

Exiv2 is a very nice tool that will let you see and decode most vendor fields as well as alter them.

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks for responding. I’ll check them out later. I hear the little one waking up from her nap.

U-Man
    Participant

I looked at both of them and downloaded infranview ’cause it was first. It gives me what I want. Thanks guys.

Why would I want to edit exif data? I mean, what would that do?

staplermofo
    Participant

If you wanted to say, send Canon a couple jpgs from your Concord 4306z, edit the exif so that it looks like it came from a Canon 5D, then demand a replacement… well, that doesn’t work. BUT NOT FOR LACK OF EFFORT!

soosh
    Participant

Some programs, like noise ninja, strip all the exif data out of jpgs. So I’ve looked at some exif editors that have the ability to batch process a folder of pre-noise processed jpg files, pull the exif data out of all of them, and then add it back to the corresponding noise-filtered files.

You could also use an exif data editor to add data to your files, such as gps location, personal notes, copyright information, particular lens used (rather than just focal length) etc.

sleeping
    Participant

In windows (XP at any rate) you can actually read quite a lot of the exif data right from the OS: Right-click > Properties > Summary > Advanced. It’s not complete, but it’s got a lot of the basic info.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘EXIF data reader’ is closed to new replies.