FD to Micro 4/3 mount and Lensbaby

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware FD to Micro 4/3 mount and Lensbaby

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    geom_00
    Participant

Hi all, I wanted your opinion before I go on a wild goose chase, and not to mention, start empting my wallet.

My parents both have Canon AE-1 FILM camera’s.

Santa was VERY good to me, and I recieved a Olympus PEN E-PL1 for Christmas. Talking to someone from Olympus, they said that there are FD to m4/3 lens adapters.

I was first off wondering if the Canon AE-1 is a EOS or a FD mount?

If there are such things, my parent’s are letting me “borrow” the lenses, am I am having some fun!

Also, the Lensbaby Muse is a 4/3 mount. So, to use it on my camera, which is a Micro 4/3 mount, I need a 4/3 to M4/3 converter, right?

Thanks for all your help! I am a kind of photography newbie. I know HOW to take decent pics…I just don’t know alot about the terminology/equipment. 😳

nobigdeal
    Participant

Nice! Congrats on the camera!
    AE-1 uses FD lenses and you will need an adapter to use regular 4/3 lenses on the M4/3.
    Let me now how you like it. I’ve been eying them as a replacement to my Canon g10

LeicaLens
    Participant

Yep, you need an FD to M4/3 converter. Apparently, the FD lenses work pretty well on the M4/3 mount. Take advantage of the zoom booster in liveview (or the viewfinder attachment if you have it) to get the manual focus really sharp. You press a button (the Fn, I think), and live view zooms in to a designated spot so you can focus accurately.
    The Lensbaby will need a converter.
    I am toying with a M4/3 camera myself; rumour has it there will be a PEN with a rangefinder-type electrical veiwfinder.

geom_00
    Participant

Thanks for the replies! After looking, I can not believe how cheap I could get a FD to m4/3 adapter!!

However, the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter will be a little more expensive I think.

I should ask this though…a m4/3 mount on an Olmypus is the same m4/3 mount on any model, correct???

LeicaLens
    Participant

You mean m4/3 mount on an Olympus would be the same as a m4/3 mount on the Panasonic models?
    The Panasonic GH and GF range have the same m4/3 mount as the Olympus m4/3, so lenses are interchangeable, though you might find focusing speeds vary.
    Actually, one in-store adviser told me the Auto focus on panasonic m4/3 lenses wouldn’t work on an Olympus m4/3 body. However, another in-store adviser has told me differently. Also, I have a panasonic 4/3 lens (actually a Leica-licensed lens, hence my handle here…a fake Leica) and use it on my Olympus body with absolutely no problems, so I suspect the first adviser was wrong.
    In other words, other companies’ m4/3 lenses should work on your Olympus m4/3 body.
    Personally, I like the look of the 20mm panasonic more than Olympus’s 17mm. However, the compact Olympus zooms are supposed to be good. For wide angle, the panasonic 9-18mm has had good reviews. A bit pricey, though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘FD to Micro 4/3 mount and Lensbaby’ is closed to new replies.