Feedback on long telephoto lenses

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Feedback on long telephoto lenses

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Someone I work with is itching to get a telephoto lens that’s can reach over 300mm. I’d like one of those too, but the cost isn’t something I can justify. But I can live vicariously though, so I thought I’d post the question here to see what people have tried, liked, disliked, or were indifferent about in that space. He’s been considering the trade-offs you make when going for the lower price options and is thinking that the Tamron 200-500mm F/5-6.3 is the best balance for him. The price is low compared to other options, meaning faster than f5 or longer then 500mm. But does anyone have any experience with that lens?

Or is there something else you would recommend? Something to be avoided? Generally I’m interested in any feedback from people that have opinions about long telephoto lenses. The guy I’m talking about is a Nikon use by the way. So great Canon lenses could be interesting to talk about here, but he probably isn’t going to switch unless that Canon lens does more than take great photos. 🙂

SilverStag
    Participant

I got one of those el cheapo 500mm Opteka lenses for Christmas. It the weather ever gets above subfreezing and clears up a bit, I’m planning to shoot with it to evaluate it.

orionid
    Participant

I got one of these on the wicked cheap about two years ago. I named it Thor. Other than a few test shots of my neighbor’s shrubbery, It’s so bulky and slow, I haven’t taken it out yet and have nothing useful to say about it.

LeicaLens
    Participant

For my Olympus digital I have a 50-200 f2.8~3.5 SWD lens, which is 100-400mm when converted to 35mm film focal lengths. It is a great lens, the best Olympus make for the money, in my opinion, and the main reason why I haven’t switched to another camera system. Lenses in that zoom range and with that speed for Nikons and Canons are about 2-3 times the price.

Other than that I have access to Canon’s 400m f5.6 L lens. There’s no IS, and it’s not the fastest lens around, but it’s still a good lens, sharp and with good bokeh. I have read an article by a pro praising it. My friend tried it on his Canon Kiss and was pleased with the results, even just hand-held. It is also relatively cheap. Relatively. I haven’t tried it on my Canon film camera yet.

stupido
    Participant

Have you considered a spotting scope with a T-mount adapter? A cheap way of getting into long lenses. Hover there are disadvantages. Tripod use only but then you want to do that any way. Not as much correction in the lens. And no adjustable F-stops.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

If he’s already got a medium zoom, a tele-extender may be a cheaper way to extend that. I’ve got a 1.4X TE that I use on my 70-200 when I want a little extra range. There’s also a 2X TE, but you lose 1 f/stop with the 1.4 and 2 with the 2X, so that’s why I went with it instead.

Curious
    Participant

good old google.

the official nikon teleconvertors are outrageously high. like $600 high. an off brand 2x on ebay is $100 which still seems a bit much.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I love the idea of attaching a camera to a telescope/tripod with an adapter. That’s now something on my personal “think about doing this” list. It just sounds like fun and might work well for the times I walk the hills on the coast and want to get shots of things in the distance.

I’m going to copy all the ideas y’all posted into an e-mail for the guy at work who is shopping for a long lens. I keep hearing people mention extension tubes, which could be a good way to go since I think he has an lens reaches 200mm already. Thanks for the feedback!

Curious
    Participant

I keep hearing people mention extension tubes, which could be a good way to go since I think he has an lens reaches 200mm already. Thanks for the feedback!

allow me to nitpick. ext tube v teleconvertor but you probably knew this.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I keep hearing people mention extension tubes, which could be a good way to go since I think he has an lens reaches 200mm already. Thanks for the feedback!

allow me to nitpick. ext tube v teleconvertor but you probably knew this.

D’oh! That’s what I get for trying to submit a quick comment as I was trying to pack up and get out of work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Feedback on long telephoto lenses’ is closed to new replies.