Finally, I’ve upgraded!

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Finally, I’ve upgraded!

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

Oh I will! First thing I will need once I have money flowing again is a new tripod. Mine broke last night so now my Noir Pictures will be that much trickier to make even semi decent. Stupid tripod body where the tilt screw goes was all plastic. I guess that’s what I get for buying my tripod at a pawnshop. Of course at the time I barely knew how to take pictures let alone what made a quality tripod.

ravnostic
    Participant

All went well, chupa; I knew the layout where I’d be, I positioned accordingly, the mount has enough adjustment field that even though I set up 1/2 before sunset, with my guestimate I was within a degree. I was within I’d guess 1/8th degree when I aligned, and from there, it was cake. I did freeze my arse off–I decided realigning to two stars was easier than hypothermia, so I started the truck up (which cut the accessory plug) quite a few times to keep blood circulating.

There’s some good shots (they’re on google plus). There were some missed ones, too, and ones where I bumped the camera/tripod/big-assed moth into the telescope and ruined the shot (and then there’s the tourists at 1am…)

When I get a round ‘tuit, I’ll add to my gallery here.

chupathingie
    Participant

When I get a round ‘tuit, I’ll add to my gallery here.

Oh yeah, please do!

I spent part of the weekend trying to come to grips with Theli, but between the flu and language difficulties and trying to adapt it to DSLR use I’m not making much headway. One of the guys at the Gemini Observatory has offered assistance, but I really hate to impose with a bunch of hand-holding requests.

I’m thinking I need to learn some basic scripting in linux; since basic stacking and dark frame subtraction can be accomplished easily with align_image_stack and imagemagic (which can do what I’m looking for in 16bit/channel) but I’ll be damned if I won’t be lazy and find a way to avoid doing this one frame at a time via the command line! 😆

ravnostic
    Participant

Uh, yeah, just got around to glancing at Theli. I think someone reinvented Latin…

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The topic ‘Finally, I’ve upgraded!’ is closed to new replies.