First attempt with HDR

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery First attempt with HDR

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

went to some mining ruins near my office at lunch. i can’t wait to try this with really dramatic slanting late afternoon type light. today the light was high overcast so bright, but flat. HDR kind of makes up for that, I guess.

FutherMucker
    Participant

Qtpfsgui ?…Good stuff, Soosh !…The gaming industry has gotten much better through this type of processing. Well done !!…….Friggin’ AWESOME !
    8)

soosh
    Participant

no, the free version of photomatix. thank god for the healing brush – made it easy to get rid of the watermarks.

FutherMucker
    Participant

This series has WIN written all over it…Doesn’t matter how it got there…I applaud thee !!…Wicked, horror show settings…. I dig this ! 8)

soosh
    Participant

Thanks!

I really want to get back there when the light is more dramatic. The interiors are a frustrating place to photograph. Completely poorly lit, under a cover of forest. I’d like to try it with some slanting late or early day sunlight, in heavy fog, and under a full moon.

This fall, I’m going to head down there during one of our hellacious wind and rain storms and get some shots with the rain and the wind pouring in.

Here are some others I’ve taken down in that area. The ones from today were from just one building – there’s a whole abandoned mine city rotting away down there.

soosh
    Participant

Analogy
    Participant

I am really not a fan of that HDR treatment. It completely eliminates all local contrast and turns the entire frame into a gigantic mess of detail with no compositional cues to guide your eye through the picture. They make my eyeballs scream looking at them. Good HDR preserves local contrast. There should still be shadows and highlights.

soosh
    Participant

I agree that it’s too much. I didn’t play too much with trying to finesse it – today was the first time I’d ever attempted it and I didn’t have much time to experiment, I just wanted to see some result.

I do kind of like the disorienting effect of them for effect’s sake.

FutherMucker
    Participant

I do kind of like the disorienting effect of them for effect’s sake.

I do too ! 8)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘First attempt with HDR’ is closed to new replies.