First shot with an ND filter. CC needed

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery First shot with an ND filter. CC needed

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Killerclaw
    Participant

*edit, color adjusted*

SilverStag
    Participant

Very nice!

schnee
    Participant

How many stops does the ND add? What was the exposure? Time of day?

It is a nice picture. “CC” means “color correction”, right?

Killerclaw
    Participant

How many stops does the ND add? What was the exposure? Time of day?

It is a nice picture. “CC” means “color correction”, right?

Constructive Criticism

The settings were f/29 at 1.6 sec exposure. I’m not sure how many stops the filter is.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s a lovely shot. I’ve been wanting an ND filter myself for those kinds of effects.

One thing to keep in mind about your aperture is that past a certain point you actually stop gaining additional sharpness and depth of field and start getting diffraction softening which can muddy your photograph. It might not be noticeable at small sizes (and I don’t see a problem with the above web-sized shot), but it’s something to keep in mind if you’re shooting something you want to print, particularly if you want to print larger sizes (8×10 and above). For an APS-C sized sensor, you start getting diffraction softening around f/11 or f/16, while with full frame you might be ok up to f/22, depending on the final print size. The reasons are complex, having to do with more math and physics than I can generally comprehend, but there’s a decent tutorial page here:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

Killerclaw
    Participant

I tried to sharpen it some with gimp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘First shot with an ND filter. CC needed’ is closed to new replies.