Since I was planning on adding fisheye elements to the camera, which both widens the DoF and adds more glass elements that would lower light transmission, I opened up the aperture. Original configuration is at f/11 and if my calculations are correct, it’s been opened to f/4 (photo was before cleaning).
I started with an Instamatic 100 (the same one from the fishtank shot the other day) and converted it to 35mm. I also used a door peephole to create a fisheye effect. As it came from the box, it wouldn’t work, since it’s adaptive focus was set to about three feet. I removed one center element and adjusted the position of the rear element to move focus to infinity.
Next, I threaded the aluminum front to match the peephole, removed all of the focal elements, and epoxied it in place with JB Weld. Once the epoxy was dry, all the focal elements were replaced. On my next photo outing I’ll run a test roll through it and see how it turns out.
Above is the best shot for demonstrating the distortion. It appears to be fairly rectilinear, but in actuality, the barn was about four feet in front of me, and the black thing on the left side of the photo was beside me, about a foot out. Yay 180 degrees of crap-tastic fun.
“An instant classic!” raved Holga World magazine.
“This lomographer is going place we’ve never seen before,” said reviewer from http://www.lamo-lomo.net.
“I’d buy that for a dollar!” state hipsters everywhere.
Just kidding. Neat project. Glad it turned out workable. I was imagining you would get a wider field of view.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Fark ™ and Totalfark ™ are registered trademarks of Fark.com, LLC.
Any republication of Fark.com content or use of Fark.com’s trademarks requires an express written license by Fark.com.