Folk dancing photography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Folk dancing photography

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pickerel
    Participant

A tricky but rewarding thing. The lighting’s usually terrible, I haven’t used strobes until just this week when I got my SB-700, and the movement is erratic. I haven’t done much of this lately since I’ve been good about getting partners for every dance. 🙂

[Some people may show up repeatedly, since they may dance at many of the regional events and are just great dancers!]

_DSD6686 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

_DSE0582 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

_DSE5504 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

_DSE6835 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

_DSE0487 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

_DSE6798 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

_DSE3160 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Kestrana
    Participant

Cool stuff Pickerel Thanks for sharing!

Farktographer
    Participant

I particularly like the feel of the final shot. If the background had been different (or blurred out with a shallow DOF) I think it’d be a really intense look.

Pickerel
    Participant

That’s what I like about using my 70-200 for this, or even the 35 or 50 f/1.8s to a lesser extent. I’m getting a 24mm f/1.4 lens soon so that’ll be excellent for this. Usually I’m shooting up close and wide with a 20mm f/2.8 or 12-24mm f/4 since there isn’t much room to work with. Shallower DOF is nice too so I can blur out the occasional person that doesn’t want to be in any photos. :/

Pickerel
    Participant

A couple shots I really enjoyed from the dance I was at last Thursday… I have the Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 now and while it didn’t wind up being as good as I thought it would for dance (autofocus can be a trick), it gives me great results when I work it right.

Feburary 23, 2012 – Glenside Contra by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

February 23, 2012 – Glenside Couples Dance by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Pickerel
    Participant

A couple new shots, from a dance weekend at the end of May. I am so far behind on my processing… Greenfield, MA. Guiding Star Grange, a dance hall legendary in the contra dance community. The lighting was great here early in the day, too.

_DSG4886 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

_DSG4882 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Yoyo
    Participant

Exactly what sort of folk are these? I don’t recognize their costumes from the usual traditional garb.

Pickerel
    Participant

There is no real traditional garb to this… it is American folk dancing, originating from English country dancing in the 1700s and 1800s. It was on the decline for a while, but experienced a revival 30 or so years ago and while still a small community, it is a vibrant and dedicated one. At least that is the case where I have gone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Folk dancing photography’ is closed to new replies.