Skip to toolbar

Gallery Stuff

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Gallery Stuff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    aspidites
    Participant

Bored, can’t sleep, so here are some pictures.

Facebook Animal Photos
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.112490195461146.5764.100001004996627&type=3#

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That’s it, I move we have no more animal themes, can I get a second on that motion? 🙂

That raccoon shot is just something else, aspidites.

aspidites
    Participant

That’s it, I move we have no more animal themes, can I get a second on that motion? 🙂

Please don’t make me shoot people. 😥

ravnostic
    Participant

Seconded, but with a catography caveat. And a ‘difficulty factor’ of ‘must be domesticated’, even for that.

About that raccoon shot–how does one set that up? Is it just a spontaneously awesome photo, or do you have to set up camp near their hutch and just wait for the little buggers to do something cute after a few days time?

Wow.

aspidites
    Participant

Seconded, but with a catography caveat. And a ‘difficulty factor’ of ‘must be domesticated’, even for that.

About that raccoon shot–how does one set that up? Is it just a spontaneously awesome photo, or do you have to set up camp near their hutch and just wait for the little buggers to do something cute after a few days time?

Wow.

The raccoons live in that dead tree on a friends farm in WV. I check on them every morning during the spring when I’m there.

I get a bunch of my deer pictures there also, that is where the fawn was. The black bears I get around Cades Cove in TN which is also a great place for deer.

I go to Yellowstone for wolves, grizzlies, elk. and coyotes The last trip to Yellowstone we got on a grizzly eating an elk that he had run off the wolves that had brought it down. Those pics aren’t as good because I wasn’t about to get any closer than I did. Grizzlies can be pretty tempramental when they are eating 😆

aspidites
    Participant

Here are a couple of the bear on the elk in Yellowstone. The first one had a focal length of 360 the second was at 1300. The pictures I got weren’t great but we watched the bear for 3 days.

Kestrana
    Participant

When we were in Shenandoah this past June we saw a butt ton of deer (which isn’t so exciting since they live in our front and back yards) and I casually remarked about wishing to see a bear. About five minutes later we came around a curve and there was a black bear just chilling next to the highway. orionid slammed on the brakes and started to back up, but he was skittish and lumbered into the woods right away. I only got two shots off…but my camera was still set on f/22, low 1.0 ISO from being outside midday in the summer and I was shooting through the back of the truck which is a tinted window. So, this is all I got for the effort:

OMG BEAR by kestrana, on Flickr

aspidites
    Participant

When we were in Shenandoah this past June we saw a butt ton of deer (which isn’t so exciting since they live in our front and back yards) and I casually remarked about wishing to see a bear. About five minutes later we came around a curve and there was a black bear just chilling next to the highway. orionid slammed on the brakes and started to back up, but he was skittish and lumbered into the woods right away. I only got two shots off…but my camera was still set on f/22, low 1.0 ISO from being outside midday in the summer and I was shooting through the back of the truck which is a tinted window. So, this is all I got for the effort:

Yeah, I have a few of those OMG (insert animal name here) pictures. Now I always set my camera up for animals whenever I move from one location to another. If I find a nice scenic while I’m driving….well that isn’t going to run away 😆 and I have time to change my camera settings.

linguine
    Participant

Love the raccoon shot.

bender16v
    Participant

aspidites, since you are from Ohio I have to ask if you have all of these animals in your backyard too? Just kidding, I’m actually from Coshocton, just up the road from where all of those creatures escaped. Your photos are incredibly impressive. I shoot a lot of wildlife, but I’m kind of new and hope to get some half as good as these some day.

I read in another post that you use a teleconverter and I had to look it up to see what it does. Do you shoot with one a lot? I read that you lose 1 to 2 stops, but are the images just as crisp? Or more so since you can “bear” right down on the subject?

aspidites
    Participant

aspidites, since you are from Ohio I have to ask if you have all of these animals in your backyard too? Just kidding, I’m actually from Coshocton, just up the road from where all of those creatures escaped. Your photos are incredibly impressive. I shoot a lot of wildlife, but I’m kind of new and hope to get some half as good as these some day.

I read in another post that you use a teleconverter and I had to look it up to see what it does. Do you shoot with one a lot? I read that you lose 1 to 2 stops, but are the images just as crisp? Or more so since you can “bear” right down on the subject?

Have you shot at the Wilds? That was where I took the cheeta. You should also look into the Shoot the Hills competition down in Hocking Hills. We shoot that almost every year.

As far as teleconverters go…depending on what you are shooting as far as lenses and camera body will determine how much they degrade the picture. They will affect the quality to some extent. I only use them when I absolutely have to, when I can’t get as close as I want because of safety is usually when I use them. The 1.4x will add 1 stop the 2x adds 2 stops. they also affect your depth of field

bender16v
    Participant

I’ve never been to The Wilds but plan on visiting there sometime when I return to see family. I haven’t lived in Ohio since 1991 but I get back often and I just moved back to Michigan. From what I have read on The Wilds’ website it should be a great place to go on one of their tours. I’ll take a look at Shoot the Hills as well.

aspidites
    Participant

Nikon Macro 200mm on F100

Yellowstone hot springs

Great Horned Owl in Hocking Hils State Park

ravnostic
    Participant

That owl–fantastic isn’t the word.

aspidites
    Participant

4 week old wolf at a breeding facility

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.