Good 3rd party wireless remote for Canon DSLR’s

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Good 3rd party wireless remote for Canon DSLR’s

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ve been wanting a wireless remote for my 30D for awhile so I could maybe shoot some family shots with me actually in the picture. But the Canon version is nearly $400, which seems ludicrous to me. Well, I found a 3rd party wireless remote made by Satechi that got excellent reviews on Amazon, so I put it on my wishlist and it showed up for Mother’s Day. With everything going on with Dad at that time, I didn’t really get the chance to do anything more than verify that it worked at that point, but I’ve been able to put it through its paces the last couple weeks, and I’m thoroughly satisfied.

The remote is radio frequency, so it doesn’t require line of sight to the receiver. In bulb mode, you do need to use the wired receiver instead of the wireless remote, however, this hasn’t been a problem. I’ve used it both wirelessly for moon shots that I wanted to make sure I had no camera shake on as well as the wired bulb mode in varying exposures up to 22 minutes long (the Star Trails and Contrails shot I submitted for the Trails theme was shot using the remote). In all scenarios the remote worked flawlessly. And given it’s only $80 versus Canon’s $400, I’m pretty pleased.

Not sure if B&H or Adorama carry it (though Adorama also have their own wireless remote for just a bit more), but mine came from Amazon:

soosh
    Participant

Awesome, thanks for posting that!

I’ve got my eye on a 3rd party timer remote. I’ll let you know what I think if I pick one up.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

You mean like a remote with an intervalometer? Cause that would be sweeeeet.

soosh
    Participant

yeah, exactly that. program number of exposures, length, etc. I think you can set them to vary the aperture, too. Canon makes one, but as you might guess, it’s not exactly cheap. There’s a Chinese knockoff on ebay, though, that is about 1/3 the price that I want to give a shot.

I’ve got one $16 plain remote release cord that’s a cheap Chinese number that I one time managed to close in the door of my car with the release part hanging about four inches above the pavement. I drove that way for well over 300 miles in below freezing weather in heavy snow & sleet before realizing it was dangling out there. It worked like a charm after I wiped it off.

Killerclaw
    Participant

I’m a token member of the use the timer club. I need to get a remote.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Good 3rd party wireless remote for Canon DSLR’s’ is closed to new replies.