good deal?

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware good deal?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jpatten
    Participant

I saw a 75-300mm lens that should fit my new canon for $199 while a little high for me to grab at the moment how does that rate on value?

This was browsing around Wolf-Camera

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Is it with or without image stabilization?

jpatten
    Participant

Not sure.. I have a Canon Rebel XT 8.1MP I dont think it has the image stabilization, but i haven’t read everything on the camera yet.

swampa
    Participant

The camera doesn’t have IS but the lens might. If it is an IS lens then grab it, it would be about 1/4 the normal price. It seems about right the right price for the 75 – 300 USM lens.

jpatten
    Participant

Then It probably doesn’t have it, I can check back and see. Of course even if it DOES and is at that Incredible price, I don’t have the funds to snag it right now anyway

jimb213
    Participant

I got a rebel XTi from wolf about a week ago for my trip to Nicaragua next week, and I bet that’s the tele lens I got with it (in addition to the kit lens). It’s decent… the telephoto equivalent to the pack-in 18-55 lens. I’m happy to have it, but am definitely looking forward to getting faster lenses to replace the two I currently have. Probably won’t happen until late in the year, though.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Is it for sure the 75-300 or the 70-300? The 70-300 is a newer design, while the 75-300 is older and the image quality isn’t quite as good. For a lens that long, you are probably going to want image stabilization, because the aperture is very dark and you’ll need extremely bright light (bright sunny day light) to get hand-holdable shutter speeds.

jpatten
    Participant

it said 75-300

I will look out for the 70-300 .. question, what can I expect to get for the 200 area? I dont have a lot of cash to spare,, but might be able to get away with that much

Snug Tight
    Participant

I have that lens. I think that is about what I paid. It isn’t a bad lens, but it isnt a great lens. It is fun to play around with, but like Elsinore said you will need a tripod or lots of light to get good shots.

jpatten
    Participant

well I have tripod, and can probably rig lighting for some stuff… otherwise I like to do outdoors a lot so during the day light wont be a problem

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s probably about as good as it gets for $200 if you want a long zoom. Anything else is going to be quite a bit more. It’s a useful range, though.

jpatten
    Participant

ok. well if I can I will snag it

staplermofo
    Participant
    jpatten
    Participant

Not sure, I will have to check this afternoon

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘good deal?’ is closed to new replies.