HDR portraiture experiments

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery HDR portraiture experiments

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chakalakasp
    Participant

I have been experimenting with HDR portraiture. It’s more interesting than you’d think — it reminds me, at least in technique, of some of the oldschool long-exposure portraits that were done back when film-speed was too slow to do actual snapshots. When shooting HDR, you have to cylce through more exposure brackets than most digital cameras will allow, so your subject has to remain very still. These photo were compiled using 5 bracketed shots, each 2 stops apart. It is possible to tone these photos ‘realistically’ but I ended up preferring a more emotive/painterly style, which HDR accomodates very well.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Painterly indeed! Those are beautiful! That first one is breathtaking, and it reminds me a lot of the old Dutch and Flemish masters..maybe Van Eyck (sp)? What building/Church is that in the first shot? Beautiful work…

chakalakasp
    Participant

Painterly indeed! Those are beautiful! That first one is breathtaking, and it reminds me a lot of the old Dutch and Flemish masters..maybe Van Eyck (sp)? What building/Church is that in the first shot? Beautiful work…

Thanks, Elsinore! I wish I had half as much talent as Van Eyck had in his pinkie. 😉 The church is actually a shrine of sorts erected on a hill between Omaha and Lincoln, It’s visible from the interstate (it’s north of the interstate), so if you’re ever coming through that way during daylight hours, you should hit the exit and go check it out. It’s free, and it’s well worth the journey.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘HDR portraiture experiments’ is closed to new replies.