How do I…

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks How do I…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    clouddancer
    Participant

do long-term exposure during the day WITHOUT getting a white screen? Or is that just impossible no matter what. I wanted to get a picture of the pinwheel spinning about, so when I set it to long-term exposure my stupid camera locked out exposure compensation as well as the ISO settings. I’ve a feeling of 2 possible answers. Either I could try this at night or I’ll need another camera instead (something that’s not possible at this point). I wanted to use it for shiny, shiny metal, but I’m not sure if it’s metal, but it is rather shiny and pretty. I guess for that one I’ll have to stick to my other shiny, purdy object.

We did catch the fireworks last night. The only way I could get them was with the fireworks preset, no way to duplicate those myself, and I’ve been making sure to read the manual to see what the presets are and what things I can change myself to optimize my pictures.

/stupid P&S

nobigdeal
    Participant

The real way is with a Neutral Density Filter. With a P&S this don’t work for the most part. You could get one and rig up some way to hold it in front of the lens or get a good pair of sunglasses 🙂

clouddancer
    Participant

So basically, I have to do a long time exposure in the dark or not during the middle of the day? I think my glasses should suffice for this (they’re Transitions) or picking up a cheapo pair of sunglasses from say Wal-Mart or something. Since I know that it has to be dark(er) for this to work, it makes it much easier to do. Thanks!

soosh
    Participant

how far down can you close your aperture on your camera? the higher that number, the longer the photo will take. what kind of camera is it?

clouddancer
    Participant

The camera’s a Kodak C340 (it’s not even made any more). I got it 3-1/2 years ago at my baby shower. It says it has a 34 mm to 102 mm (Equiv) AF 3x Optical. It’s a Kodak Retinar Aspheric All Glass Lens. I cannot adjust the f stops or the shutter speed. My ISO options are 80, 100, 200, 400 and Auto. My exposure compensations are -2.0, -1.5, -1.0, -0.5, 0.0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0. If I set it to long-time exposure (options are 0.7, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 seconds) it changes exposure compensation to Auto as well as ISO speed to auto.

Did I give too much information? I have the manual with me and camera with me. In SCN mode it tells me what the preset options are, down to the f stops, but I can’t change those at all.

linguine
    Participant

Putting the camera on the long-time exposure setting should work. You’ll probably want to play around with the different lengths or time to get it to come out how you want it. Also, depending on how narrow of an aperture your camera has you may have to do the longer exposure in lower light in the evening if its still coming out to bright.

Zumaki
    Participant

shutter speed long means:

high aperature number (30+ during the day if you can)
    low ISO number (<=100)
    polarizers help but change the contrast
    sunglasses help but can let light creep in the sides or will subtly warp the image
    unless you’re wanting to intentionally blur motion, you can also use multiple exposures and newer versions of photoshop will stack the images like a multi exposure shot.

millera9
    Participant

…unless you’re wanting to intentionally blur motion, you can also use multiple exposures and newer versions of photoshop will stack the images like a multi exposure shot.

Note that this last suggestion would make the photo ineligible for most farktography themes according to the rules. Not sure if that’s what you’re intending to use it for…

clouddancer
    Participant

I was thinking of using it for a contest, but I couldn’t get it to come out right. I guess in darkness it shall be. Last night we had a small fire in our driveway (intentional and blocked off by cinder blocks) and I did a long-time exposure then with the embers and flames and it came out really pretty (sparks and everything). I’ll probably try it again, but later in the day, would be nice if it wasn’t raining. I’m not so sure the object would do well though as it doesn’t glow, but perhaps a couple of well placed far enough away lights could get it to sparkle enough. The gears are turning, that’s for sure.

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I…’ is closed to new replies.