How do I take pics of star trails?

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks How do I take pics of star trails?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

geom One trick might be for you to zoom in as close as you can with your camera. The closer the stars appear, the faster they move through the frame. Another thing to check is if you have a ‘manual’ mode on your camera at all–if so, you may have a ‘bulb’ setting in that mode, which means the shutter stays open as long as you hold the button.

Personally, I’m not impressed with star trail shots; to get any decent lengths to them requires at least a 15 minute exposure when using 50mm setting or less. Even then I don’t find them very appealing. Really good star trail pics take at least an hour, and two is better, IMHO. In my area, light pollution spoils these exposure lengths.

FWIW, many people here have been impressed with Registax, which is freeware. My experience with it, however, is that it’s nothing more than a ‘lay an image over another’ program (this is my fault for not having a polar mount on my telescope; used in it’s proper context, it would be fine). But it would accomplish what you’re looking for. Just keep in mind that it’s really slow with very large files, so you might resize things to maybe 800 pixels in width before stacking them.

And yes, they’d be non-farktography shots. But it’s always fun to experiment, so good luck!

p.s., if you can, get a release cable for the shutter–either the old fashioned mechanical plunger style, or if your camera doesn’t accept that, a plug-in electronic version (you may not be able to use either, depending on the point-and-shoot model.)

On the AE-1, it’s worth one roll of film for this type project, if it allows you the lengthier exposure. ISO 200 would be fine for this, and leave that shutter open to your hearts content (at 200 ISO, camera shake from opening the shutter would be negligible in the final production).

jpatten
    Participant

If you take multiple 60sec exposures you should be able to stack them to make a single longer exposure picture.

orionid
    Participant

It’s absolutely possible to stack shorter exposures.

Before I had a remote trigger, the way I would do it was setting my camera for continuous shooting at 30 second exposures, then tape the button down. You can bulk load them into PS by using the “File>Scripts>Load files into stack” function. This will place them all in a single image as different layers. Then you can go through the layers dialog and set the blend mode as “lighter color.” Lather. Rinse. Repeat. I wrote a macro that lets me press a button and it changes the mode then flattens down each layer automatically.

Video compiled of each shot as a frame.
    Composite image made from stacking frames with “lighter color”

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I take pics of star trails?’ is closed to new replies.