How do I use a D-SLR?

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks How do I use a D-SLR?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

I shoot with all sorts of apertures, usually not above f/16 though as I don’t care much for diffraction.Still don’t see it.

Analogy
    Participant

Stop down to f/16 and shoot a blank white wall. That’s where you’ll really see it.

millera9
    Participant

I very seldom have problems with dust, I’m just anal retentive and like to keep my expensive-ass equipment clean. I also tend to be an outdoor-type shooter so I deal with atmospheric contaminants more than most photographers.

One of the first real photographers I ever spent any time talking to was a guy named Everrett Brown. My then roommate and I watched him change lenses (both really nice L glass) on his 1D while his hands were covered with mud. When we asked him what his feelings were about sensor and lens dust he replied, “You kidding? I’ve seen guys change lenses in the middle of sandstorms in the Sahara. If you’re worrying about your equipment, you’re going to miss your shot. If you miss your shot, you’re not a photographer.”

/I’m paraphrasing there, but that’s the general idea.

SilverStag
    Participant

I take damn few pictures of blank walls.

Analogy
    Participant

I take damn few pictures of blank walls.

True, but large blank areas do tend to crop up in real world shooting as well. A cloudless or overcast sky, for instance.

SilverStag
    Participant

True, still, I got no dust bunnies.

staplermofo
    Participant

Sometimes I’m glad I have no eye for small details.

This guide is as funny as it is scary, and they do a pretty convincing job of looking like they know what they’re doing.

As an almost exclusively prime lens guy, let me just say cleaning the non-sensor part of your camera is overlooked waaaay too often.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I use a D-SLR?’ is closed to new replies.