How many shots do you take?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Pollage How many shots do you take?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    RcMacStudent
    Participant

Ok, I’ve been curious for awhile now, how many shots do you guys take (on average) to get one that you’ll enter in the contest?

sleeping
    Participant

Do you mean overall, or if we’re shooting specifically for a contest?

RcMacStudent
    Participant

When you’re shooting specifically for a contest.

millera9
    Participant

I answered 10-15 but the real truth is that it varies. Sometimes I get it right the first time and only take 1 or 2 more for insurance. Other times (like the self-portraits contest) I just start shooting and don’t stop until an hour later when I have 100 shots; of which 3 get used. Sometimes I get lost in the possibilities and other times I have a very specific idea of what I want to shoot and how I want to shoot it. It really changes every week.

I guess that’s probably the difference between an amateur like myself and a real pro: a lot of times I don’t have a fragging clue what I’m doing!

boringolddoug
    Participant

I’m in millera9’s court. It depends mostly on what the theme is and how well I can deal with it. Sometimes I already have a shot for a theme, sometimes I get it the first shot, sometimes I can shoot till I have to quit without getting it.

zeke
    Participant

I answered 10-15 but the real truth is that it varies. Sometimes I get it right the first time and only take 1 or 2 more for insurance. Other times (like the self-portraits contest) I just start shooting and don’t stop until an hour later when I have 100 shots; of which 3 get used. Sometimes I get lost in the possibilities and other times I have a very specific idea of what I want to shoot and how I want to shoot it. It really changes every week.

This.

I guess that’s probably the difference between an amateur like myself and a real pro: a lot of times I don’t have a fragging clue what I’m doing!

And this.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I voted for 15-20, but like the others said, it varies wildly depending on whether I’m doing a people shot (young kids or use of self-timer almost always means more “takes” to get something right), or stationary object(s) (Everything’s a Dollar, I only needed a few shots of each item I’d bought to get it right, though I didn’t use everything), or some kind of new type of photography I hadn’t tried before (Cityscapes took a *lot* of tries (well over a hundred) when I did a nighttime skyline shot because I hadn’t done nighttime photography before).

Sometimes my number-of-shots to keeper-shots ratio is decent, but a lot of times it sucks ass because I’m experimenting with something and trying a lot of different angles or lighting, etc. I’m still very much in the learning stages of things, myself.

Claff
    Participant

As few as possible. I try to think of myself as a photographic sniper – one shot, one kill. My usual shooting fodder – race cars, race car people, and small dogs – don’t usually allow me the luxury of “wait, let me try one more” so I make sure I get it as close to right the first time because I don’t often have the luxury of a second try.

Analogy
    Participant

As few as possible. I try to think of myself as a photographic sniper – one shot, one kill.

This. I shoot a lot of live band photos and can’t afford to miss unique moments so I always focus as much as possible on getting it right the first time.

Lovesandwich
    Participant

I think that I have only shot for a couple of specific contests, usually I am into my archives looking for something. If I don’t find anything, then I usually just don’t post.

When I am out shooting though, I will run off hundreds if my memory cards will let me. =)

Marley
    Participant

I picked 20+, but it varies. I try for one good one, but if lighting conditions are difficult or there are other factors which make me doubt that one, I’ll bracket or shoot several to be sure. Self-portraits have required 50 or more, because I couldn’t use a tripod and therefore couldn’t frame the shot.

Shooting digital is good and bad for these reasons. I have room to play if I’m not sure of a shot, but then I end up with a ton of trash.

XenPix
    Participant

As few as possible. I try to think of myself as a photographic sniper – one shot, one kill. My usual shooting fodder – race cars, race car people, and small dogs – don’t usually allow me the luxury of “wait, let me try one more” so I make sure I get it as close to right the first time because I don’t often have the luxury of a second try.

This is why I enjoy being able to mess around with things and see how they turn out if I do it different ways (and also why I took over 600 shots at the RallyCross at the weekend! 😆 ). I love the challenge of getting it right first time, but also I enjoy the opportunity farktography gives me to experiment, and take advantage of it when I can. Like the booze theme. Trying to capture a bubble in beer? THAT took a whole crapload of shots, and I learnt from it. Like never try to take pictures of bubbles in beer. 😉

Debug
    Participant

If I’m shooting with film and it’s a subject that I am comfortable with 1-2 frames. Something less comfortable 3-5 frames.

If I’m shooting digital, I’ll go till I like what I see on the LCD and then take 2 more.

It’s not that I don’t like using a lot of film, I just feel that when I use film, I am doing “real” photography and I think about the image a lot more (composition, viewing from multiple angles etc) before I make an exposure. My 1-2 frames on film will probably take longer for me to shoot then 15-20 on digital

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘How many shots do you take?’ is closed to new replies.