How much do you care about voting?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Pollage How much do you care about voting?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

Be honest, it’s anonymous.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I laugh everytime I see the word pollage.

/middle schooler for life

swampa
    Participant

Where is the option for ‘As long as I end up ahead of …’ 😛

schnee
    Participant

I do like to beat my average, or at least maintain it. As long as I end up ahead of…um….hmmmm.

monkeybort
    Participant

i get a little salty when a not-so-great picture finishes ahead of me (blurry, off-theme, just plain crappy, etc.) but other than that…..i DO like to maintain my placement in the FSM, though. and I’m trying to break into the greatest averages evar with no luck. so i guess i do care, but just because of the FSM. 😛

/shakes tiny fist

Analogy
    Participant

Ditto to ‘bort. I’ll admit FSM turned me into a stats whore. =D Nowadays I’ll stay out of the contest if I know my idea’s pretty mundane, because I know it’ll drag down my average.

millera9
    Participant

I answered with the majority because it doesn’t bother me enough to consider hara-kiri, but I do lose sleep over it. When a picture that I thought was really clever/technical/interesting gets no votes, I think very hard about why. Sometimes it seems like dwelling on something that means nothing, but the truth is that farktography has massively improved my photography over the last year. It motivates me to think hard about my shots, which does not come naturally to me. So yeah, I lose sleep over votes, even though the difference between winning and 5th place means absolutely nothing to me. I’m totally happy where I ended up this week. I finished behind some excellent photos!

Curious
    Participant

i get a little salty when a not-so-great picture finishes ahead of me (blurry, off-theme, just plain crappy, etc.) but other than that…..

i could care less.

oh wait that means i do care. and i do but not about the FSM, it’s far too late to worry about rankings. or averages unless i’m shooting for the bottom third. and from the results you would think i was literally shooting for that.

there are times i don’t take the best shot possible simply because, overall, my photos don’t get many votes. it then becomes a self fulfilling circle. my black stairs against the white wall was one i was really happy with and thought it would do well. it finished 75th behind my other two that finished 42nd and 47th. none were strictly grab shots but a lot more thought went into the black on white one.

and sadly both my first place finish and my second place finish weren’t shot for a contest but images from the archives that fit the theme for the week.

so in summary i shot for me and if there is something i like for a particular week it will get entered. if there’s nothing, or nothing but crap, then i’ll stay out. frankly if there was an option of “voting is nice but the AWing is the reason” it would have been checked.

zeke
    Participant

I won’t lose too much sleep over it, and I’ll admit to being a stats whore thanx to the FSM. Like Analogy, if I’ve got nothing that strikes me as “interesting”, I won’t bother. Part of it is I don’t want to wipe out my standings, but on the other hand, if there’s no creativity with the theme, I wouldn’t really be adding much to the event, so why bother. On the flip side, if I’ve got a really good shot that seems like it’s going to do well… I will lose sleep 😉

Usually if I’ve got a shot that I think is really good but gets absolutely nothing, I’ll try to sort out whether it just wasnt an interesting shot, didnt resonate with the community, or just what the deal is. Sometimes you’ve just gotta chalk it up to a Fark thang, though…

Lovesandwich
    Participant

I don’t worry too much about it, but like Monkeybort, it does bug me when not so great photo does better. I haven’t figured out what the FSM is (Flying Spagetti Monster?) to worry about stats, etc. And since most of my submissions are from my archives, I don’t worry too much about going out and getting that great a shot. Either I have it or I don’t.

That said, as of last checked, I think I have one at about 5th place last week. W00t!

schnee
    Participant

I haven’t figured out what the FSM is (Flying Spagetti Monster?) to worry about stats, etc.

Blasphemy. Utter blasphemy.

Curious
    Participant

Lovesandwich the FSM is here http://www.schneeworld.com/fsm/ and is the Farktography Statistics Manager. an invaluable resource created and maintained by schnee. there is a link in the upper left under Menu. one of the features that i like is the ability to see not only where i placed in various contests but there are cached thumbnails of the actual images.

linguine
    Participant

Lovesandwich, dont feel bad, the first time I saw someone mention the fsm here I was trying to figure out what the flying spaghetti monster had to do with farktography as well.

Lovesandwich
    Participant

Blasphemy. Utter blasphemy.

Whoa! Schnee!! You are freaking me out!

Please say that you use your powers for good and not too much evil!

Thanks for showing me the way of the FSM =P

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘How much do you care about voting?’ is closed to new replies.