Hugin on mac problems

Forums Forums Get Technical Software Hugin on mac problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

Based on Chupa‘s suggestion, I went off and downloaded Hugin for mac. I’ve actually tried it before, but was never able to get it to work satisfactorily-there was always an error. It seems to work for other people, though, so I figured I’d give it a try again. Long story short, same result. I figured I’d come here to see if anybody has a better idea of how to make the software behave. Here’s a description of what leads up to the error:

1) I open the program, close the help dialogue, and press “load images.”
    2) I load the images and enter the correct fov info from the exif data.
    3) Press “align” and wait for it to align, which it does. The preview looks pretty good.
    4) Press stitch, provide location and name.
    5) Error pops up, here’s the output:

echo: write: Bad file descriptor
    gnumake: *** [info] Error 1

What’s going on? Have I forgotten to install some other required program? I’m used to being able to figure out computer problems, but this one has just been inscrutable to me, which is frustrating. Any ideas?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m not a mac guy, so no idea, plama. However, I did a quick google and it appears you’re not alone in this error.

orionid
    Participant

I had the same error with windows a few years back when I tried hugin. haven’t used it since. Do you have the latest version?

Curious
    Participant

What’s going on? Have I forgotten to install some other required program? I’m used to being able to figure out computer problems, but this one has just been inscrutable to me, which is frustrating. Any ideas?

sounds like me and my recent triple boot grub problems.

no i can’t help you, just sympathize with computer problems.

chupathingie
    Participant

I don’t have access to a mac, but there seems to be a work-around using PTBatch to finalize the process using the .pto file created by Hugin…

http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx/browse_thread/thread/b18eaae2c7e21a80

It’s an extra step, but doesn’t seem like too much of a PITA…

This may be a silly suggestion (I’ve done this a lot in linux, but that’s, well, linux), but is compiling the source so it’s native to your OS version a possibility?

chupathingie
    Participant

Hmmmm… found this in a thread:

The above error is not generated when I use 2010.2.0 and that version stitches just fine.

Try downloading 2010.2.0 and see what happens.

edit: I’m running 2010.0.0.5045 without issues, so a rollback might fix that for you. I’m not sure what version I have on the laptop, but I’ve been unable to select multiple files on it for input and have to drag and drop from a file browser window (same prob with Qtpfsgui on the lappy tho, so I’m guessing a shared library issue but I have yet to take time to track it down…).

linguine
    Participant

Well to complete the trifecta I could never get hugin to work in linux either.

chupathingie
    Participant

Well this is just strange… every time I’ve installed hugin it’s worked for me. I may fire up a windows partition tonight and see if I can re-create this problem. It’s a bit disappointing to recommend something that works so well for me, just to have it open a big stinky box of FAIL on everyone else. 🙁

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I took the suggestion of using previous versions and downloaded 2010.2.0, which kind of works, but the results are a little…odd:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NXlwuWRrt5uAARkkmGpJyAgoPNmLZef3e7s-RQjQBBY?feat=directlink
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IfL4FJRPGQwFH9U8Sdid3AgoPNmLZef3e7s-RQjQBBY?feat=directlink
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/r3prrQKq9d7l7v8T3jATeggoPNmLZef3e7s-RQjQBBY?feat=directlink
    Also, when the preview window pops up now, nothing works, and it crashes when I try to hit auto-crop.

I have the feeling this program would be great if I could ever getting it working.

chupathingie
    Participant

That image with the circles is definitely odd. The others look like they could be tweaked in the crop section of the preview window, since the move function also rotates.

I’ve never hit the autocrop button, I just set the crop when I’m in the preview pane manually.

There are some new features in the 2010.2.0 version over what I have (panosphere I think?) which I have no clue about which may explain the circular image, or possibly a mis-set focal length on the images. Did you allow the program to pull the F.L. from the EXIF data or did you set them manually?

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Okay, I went back yet one more version to 2010.0, and it seems to be working…almost. Here’s the best result so far:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PI4stMXQPohwxKORIO7-7AgoPNmLZef3e7s-RQjQBBY?feat=directlink

The stitching seems to work, but the exposure blending is still a little…off. Also, even though I installed the control point generators, the program still says they’re not installed. I’m sure I can figure this out with tinkering. Thanks for everybody’s help!

chupathingie
    Participant

Under the “Stitcher” tab in the “Output” section, select “Fused and blended panorama” under the “Exposure fusion” section. This will add an additional file named filename_fused.tif to your output folder after the run is done. The exposure in this file is much more agreeable than the default output.

Plamadude30k
    Participant
    Curious
    Participant

the results look real good. impressive even.

orionid
    Participant

the results look real good. impressive even.

Agreed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Hugin on mac problems’ is closed to new replies.