Humanity takes millions of pics every day. Why do most suck

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Humanity takes millions of pics every day. Why do most suck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/humanity-takes-millions-of-photos-every-day-why-are-most-so-forgettable/article12754086/#dashboard/follows/

interesting article about the decline of good photography.

(there may be a paywall..not sure)

staplermofo
    Participant

As the presentations of media change, the audience should change how they take it in too.
    Photographs aren’t presented individually when they’re telling stories now. It’s a lot easier to present a group of photographs now, and it’s a lot easier to find other photographers’ photos and display them with your own.
    There are thousands of people who can take gorgeous photos with personal or social significance, and the best 1% would be more than someone could appreciate appropriately in a lifetime.

So, I think that means the most dramatic way to bridge the art and the public’s appreciation is through galleries and attention whoring.
    Think of the last time someone who isn’t learning photography was really struck by it. I bet it was from someone other than the photographer being a middleman. Tumblr, flickr or Google+ probably.

Taking good photos is covered. The adventurous genius has moved on where genius is more needed.
    It’s like lamenting the loss of the radio drama. Radio is going strong, drama is going strong, but radio isn’t the best medium for drama anymore, and voice acting has suffered for it.

ennuipoet
    Participant

The simple answer is people ALWAYS took shiatty shots, but they used to get tossed in a desk drawer forever not sepia filtered and called “art”.

Crappy photography is the rule, not the exception.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Taking good photos is covered. The adventurous genius has moved on where genius is more needed.
    It’s like lamenting the loss of the radio drama. Radio is going strong, drama is going strong, but radio isn’t the best medium for drama anymore, and voice acting has suffered for it.

So you’re saying we’re the new Garrison Keillor,.. I don’t want to live anymore.

staplermofo
    Participant

So you’re saying we’re the new Garrison Keillor,.. I don’t want to live anymore.

Only as far as trying to tell a story in a single photograph!
    Besides, you’re more a This American Life or… *defeated sigh*

Leave me your camera stuff in your will and I’ll tell your friends and family a good story about why you killed yourself.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Only as far as trying to tell a story in a single photograph!
    Besides, you’re more a This American Life or… *defeated sigh*

Leave me your camera stuff in your will and I’ll tell your friends and family a good story about why you killed yourself.

It can be done. Not by just anyone, but it can be done.

/not me certainly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Humanity takes millions of pics every day. Why do most suck’ is closed to new replies.