I lightened my load

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware I lightened my load

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

I had a small windfall, and to celebrate, I bought a small, *light* Carbon Fiber tripod. (it was Roberts’ store brand, comparable to Manfrotto but 1/2 the $$$ ) So I went out and weighed my all-aluminum monster- with ballhead it is nearly 10 lbs! Eek!

This little 3 pound job seems to be just as stiff if not stiffer than the Beast was/is.

I packed the Beast away with the Studio lighting. I’ll bet that’s the only place I’ll use it anymore.

orionid
    Participant

Cool!

caradoc
    Participant

I really need to get a lighter, stiffer, taller tripod.

Unfortunately, with tripods it’s a three-way trade-off.

“Light, Stiff, Cheap. Pick two.”

Curious
    Participant

i picked 1 & 3 once i went digital. still have a heavy stiff tripod that i traded for many years ago. guy wanted light, i needed heavy for the 4 x 5. win/win.

got a monopod for christmas last year and it works great for use with a long lens. nice compromise for on the go shooting.

caradoc
    Participant

I don’t mind the heavy tripod when I’m not hiking up mountainsides right before a thunderstorm…

sleeping
    Participant

Nice! When I made a similar upgrade I found it it did actually make quite a difference in terms of actually using the thing vs leaving it at home.

I’ve been additionally lightening my load recently by using a vest instead of a camera bag when I’m actually out shooting – I usually leave the bag in the car and actually carry a smaller range of gear into the field (e.g. 18-35mm, 60mm macro, and 70-300mm)

Curious
    Participant

i found that with the new camera using the bag’s shoulder strap isn’t that bad. i didn’t weigh the old set up/bag but guess the new one is 1/3 lighter. i need to remember to put it on across the chest so the top flips away from me. flipping toward me is just too awkward to reach into. then again i’m not taking multi mile hikes. made a shoulder sling bag for the cheap, light tripod and monopod and that worked out ok.

sleeping substitute an ext tube set for the 60mm macro and that’s pretty much all i have in the bag anyway. there is a 35mm P&S but it doesn’t add much.

soosh
    Participant

I’ve wanted to switch to carbon fiber tripods, mainly because I hate handling metal ones in sub-freezing temperatures.

I worry that they’d be stable enough in windy conditions, though. I’m not the type who’ll do the bag of stones hung from the center tube for stability.

sleeping
    Participant

How high do you need to work? If you keep the center post down and put the legs out to a wider position you can make a very stable platform but you wind up with the camera pretty low to the ground.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘I lightened my load’ is closed to new replies.