I need a beater

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware I need a beater

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

So, I’ve been having some creative thoughts as of late, and it’s come to my attention that I need a beatem-up p&s.

Desires and Requires as follows:

Desire:
    >= 5mp
    SD card format (so I don’t have to buy new cards)
    Lightweight
    HD Video with Audio
    As few moving parts as possible

Require:
    Interval Shooting for unlimited duration
    (Or Continuous shooting mode. I’m not above taping down the button)
    >= 3mp
    640×480 Video Mode with audio @ >=20 fps

Basically, I need a camera that can be launched with a [large-ish] model rocket, hung from a kite, strapped to a paintball mask, taped to the handlebars on a four-wheeler, and otherwise treated as brutally and inhumanely as a camera should be allowed. It may occasionally serve as a pocket camera, but not very frequently.

Given the intended uses, I don’t expect a long lifespan out of it, and would therefore like to keep the cost under $100.

The Canon Powershot A470 is the closest I’ve come across in my brief initial search. Any other suggestions (or reviews of the 470) would be greatly appreciated.

/I’m also not above used merchandise on ebay if the price is right

staplermofo
    Participant

I’ll try flying my Kodak z1285 on a kite this weekend (weather permitting) and let you know how it works out.

corsec67
    Participant

My suggestion would be for a camera that doesn’t have a retracting lens, so that you have less moving parts to get messed up.

Either a really small sensor or a folded optic path seems like it would be better for your needs.

orionid
    Participant

My suggestion would be for a camera that doesn’t have a retracting lens, so that you have less moving parts to get messed up.

Either a really small sensor or a folded optic path seems like it would be better for your needs.

I thought about that, I just didn’t see one on B&H’s website that met the other wickets of <$100, SD card, and either interval or continuous shooting. (Many had 7-15 shot bursts, max)

orionid
    Participant

So I made a trip around to alot of area electronics shops and played with just about every p&s known to man yesterday, and made my choice. I picked up a Casio Exilim EX-5S. It’s 10.1 mp, and roughly the size of a cell phone. It’s got all the wickets I was looking for, and seems to operate pretty well as a P&S. I tried taking it out today with one of my kites, but the wind wasn’t playing along. What started out as a nice breezy morning turned into what would have been a perfect rocket day. doh!. I’m sorting through photos now, and may upload some later to the gallery (Though the kite never went above 20 feet or so).

The rocket may be a ways off yet, that’ll require a little more enginerding, but I’ve been scouring ebay for piece-parts for several days now.

Also, in case anyone finds themselves camera shopping online, some people’s definitions of continuous shooting may differ. Mine is that as long as the button is held, and disk space is available, the camera keeps snapping. On the Canon A470, it stops at ten frames, regardless of button position or available memory.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Isn’t that the buffer? Most cameras have a limit to the number of shots they can snap before the need to write to the card kicks in. Faster cards generally mean less time wasted in the process, but I think most cameras have a number listed in their specs on how many frames they can shoot before writing to the card.

Curious
    Participant

Also, in case anyone finds themselves camera shopping online, some people’s definitions of continuous shooting may differ. Mine is that as long as the button is held, and disk space is available, the camera keeps snapping.

film will for sure but i’m wondering if even high end digital cameras do that. the copy/paste below is for the nikon D3

Shooting modes ? Single frame
    ? Continuous Low [CL]: 1 – 9 fps
    ? Continuous High [CH]: 9 fps (9 – 11 fps with DX format)
    ? Liveview [LV]
    ? Self-Timer (programmable)
    ? Mirror-up mode

Continuous buffer ? JPEG Large/Normal: 64 shots (at 9 fps)
    ? RAW: no data yet

if that pro camera only does 64 images before the buffer is full ……….

sleeping
    Participant

film will for sure

Yeah, but generally you’ve only got a 36-odd shot buffer (unless you have one of those crazy 250 shot long roll backs)

orionid
    Participant

Yeah, I sat at the store and held the button down on the 5s for the first 100 shots and called it good enough. It went to 1670 today when the card filled up, so I’d say that the test was satisfactory.

My old D50 and the D90 would both shoot full speed until the buffer was full, then slow to card speed until 100 shots (they go until the card’s full with a remote). So I figured finding one with similar attributes would be fine, I just needed it in a much smaller package.

staplermofo
    Participant

Don’t get a Kodak z1285, it didn’t pass the kite test.

U-Man
    Participant

Why don’t you just tape that Nikon you have to a kite or rocket. Then it will break and you can start getting Canon stuff.

linguine
    Participant

Why don’t you just tape that Nikon you have to a kite or rocket. Then it will break and you can start getting Canon stuff.

Can I have all of my past votes for U-Man stricken from the FSM? 😀

millera9
    Participant

Can I have all of my past votes for U-Man stricken from the FSM? 😀

Only if you add them to my profile.

orionid
    Participant

I’ve already invested too much in nikon glass. Besides. Nikon SLR’s are a tad too heavy for the kite.

Oh, and what ‘guine said. 😉

U-Man
    Participant

See, I keep telling my wife that people sometimes care about what I say.

/you know I was joking, right?
    //I mean, obviously, that camera would be too heavy.
    ///might make a good doorstop or anchor or something though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘I need a beater’ is closed to new replies.