I now have 3 canon lenses–what should I do w/the Tamrons?

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware I now have 3 canon lenses–what should I do w/the Tamrons?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Okay, so the OT has gotten me the ‘cheapy’ plastic bodied 50mm f1.8 (which I like, despite the reviews–and my initial experience), and a 75mm-300mm telephoto (older; no image stabilization, but better f/’s than the Tamron 70-300), and in the morning, an EFS 18mm-55mm w/image stabilization. All for less than $350, so I can’t argue the price.

Should I sell the Tamron telephoto and 28mm-80mm? They both work fine–they just don’t have the capabilities the Canon brands do with DPP (no IS, no CA correction, no distortion fixing). On the telephoto, the focus was never quite synced w/my body; I resorted to tick-marking the lens to find that sweet spot where the moon images are crisp and clear (and judging from last night’s shots, I’ll really need to do the same on the Canon brand lens anyway.)

What would you do?

Suggestions? I am getting a new camera bag (also Canon brand as it happens) that should hold all 5 plus the Darlot, but is the overlap redundant or can someone advise me as to why I should keep them?

orionid
    Participant

Convert them into something else.

Uranus
    Participant

the overlap redundant or can someone advise me as to why I should keep them?

1. back-up, and/or some orionid – isms.
    2. something to blame when your favourite shot doesn’t do as well as you think it should 😆

zincprincess
    Participant

Having just flung my external flash out of my bag onto the ground (inches from being in the Tennessee river) rendering it useless, I vote for redundancy.

caradoc
    Participant

On the telephoto, the focus was never quite synced w/my body; I resorted to tick-marking the lens to find that sweet spot where the moon images are crisp and clear (and judging from last night’s shots, I’ll really need to do the same on the Canon brand lens anyway.)

Don’t the Canon bodies have a focus fine-tune adjustment per-lens? My D7000 does…

ravnostic
    Participant

Orionid such as? I don’t have your aptitude for rerigging.

I’ve thought of the redundancy factor. It’s under consideration.

caradoc, I’m not aware of such a thing with my xTi, but if it DID have it–it wouldn’t work with a Tamron Lens, I don’t think. But I’ve been through all the settings–never seen anything along those lines. Hence the tick marks, which did the job fine. I’ll have to see about the Canon telephoto (time to break out the manual, I guess…)

Thanks for the opins, all! I’ll wait to do anything hasty till I see what the new bag will hold; I should be getting that by Friday.

caradoc
    Participant

I’m not aware of such a thing with my xTi, but if it DID have it–it wouldn’t work with a Tamron Lens, I don’t think. But I’ve been through all the settings–never seen anything along those lines.

Weird. I could have sworn the XTi had the microadjustment menu… but I’m not a Canon guy, so what do I know?

orionid
    Participant

Just off the cuff….

Mount the 75-300 in lieu of the stock lens on a cheap point and shoot with a thumbnail-sized sensor, this should give you a manual super-telezoom with an effective focal length of 300-1200.

Put the 28-80 on a Brownie Reflex Synchro in lieu of the stock lens. This should give a hard vignette on the corners of the 127 film while allowing you to adjust focal length. Hell, just put a canon mount on the brownie.

Take a mounting ring from one of them and put it on one of your scopes’ eyepieces for prime focusing.

Take the aperture blades out of the 28-80, then use it reverse-mounted for extrem macro goodness.

Take the rear mount ring from one and put it on your darlot

New dog toy

etc., etc.

ravnostic
    Participant

Just off the cuff….

Mount the 75-300 in lieu of the stock lens on a cheap point and shoot with a thumbnail-sized sensor, this should give you a manual super-telezoom with an effective focal length of 300-1200.

Put the 28-80 on a Brownie Reflex Synchro in lieu of the stock lens. This should give a hard vignette on the corners of the 127 film while allowing you to adjust focal length. Hell, just put a canon mount on the brownie.

Take a mounting ring from one of them and put it on one of your scopes’ eyepieces for prime focusing.

Take the aperture blades out of the 28-80, then use it reverse-mounted for extrem macro goodness.

Take the rear mount ring from one and put it on your darlot

New dog toy

etc., etc.

this and that sound very interesting to me. The trouble with the darlot is it only gives me that great macro goodness when I’m looking through it through the regular canon lenses (of whatever size for whatever macro.) I’ve never seemed to find that focus with the xTi body alone. I’ll check again. It must be somewhere.

Okay, it seems to be around 3″ from the ring on the cam body. This could be a completely doable, exciting adventure!

//that man is brilliant.

ravnostic
    Participant

Oh, and BTW, won’t show you yet some of the first pics from the EFS1855, but one will definitely be making it into the MLYLT contest this week. It’s sweet. Here’s the layout for the shot, only with added lighting so I could get a piss poor but viewable image of the ‘studio’:

nobigdeal
    Participant

On the telephoto, the focus was never quite synced w/my body; I resorted to tick-marking the lens to find that sweet spot where the moon images are crisp and clear (and judging from last night’s shots, I’ll really need to do the same on the Canon brand lens anyway.)

Don’t the Canon bodies have a focus fine-tune adjustment per-lens? My D7000 does…

That is only usable on prime lenses as the adjustments are made for specific focal lengths. It’s also only available on newer cameras. I think the 50D was the first to have it.

lokisbong
    Participant

The efs 18-55IS is the kit lens that came with my camera. I like it a lot but it now seems to have some dust on the inside of the lens. I bought a 50mm 1.8 at the local pawn shop a while back for way less than the pawnshop probably wanted to sell it for(their fault for not having price marked on it) and love it even if people claim its not a great lens. It seems the lens I use the most for day time pics is the 55-250 though. All three are the cheaper version canon lenses.

sleeping
    Participant

I like it a lot but it now seems to have some dust on the inside of the lens.

It’s actually surprising how little stuff like that matters, most of the time: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

lokisbong
    Participant

I have one bit that shows up in a lot of my pictures of bright day time stuff. Especially when I try to take landscape pictures at the wide end of the zoom. I have been wishing I had a job and there was a camera shop less than 170 miles away. I don’t know if I would even want to think about taking it apart enough to get to the chunk of dust. It’s not nearly as bad as the lens in the article you linked though. I am not sure I would have even tried to use that after it got treated like that. lol. the spot in my lens only shows in certain situations so I am not too bugged by it but it would be better if I could get rid of it.

Curious
    Participant

lokisbong please don’t be offended by this question but are you sure it isn’t dust on the sensor?

not that i’m in sleeping‘s knowledge group but dust on the external lens elements is one thing. dust inside is pretty rare.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘I now have 3 canon lenses–what should I do w/the Tamrons?’ is closed to new replies.