I think I killed the camera

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware I think I killed the camera

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    zincprincess
    Participant

I have a Nikon D5000 and was shooting pictures for the upcoming theme. In the middle of shooting, the monitor blinked off and the camera lost power. I have consulted the owner’s manual and have followed their instruction – remove and replace the battery. This didn’t work. So (again following the manual), I hit the reset button. Again nothing. Now I’m going to find a Nikon service center to fix it. Has anybody experienced something like this? If so, what do you suggest?

Arrgggghhhhh………

orionid
    Participant

There’s a few other things you could try, but not without seriously voiding the warranty. I’d let the service reps look at it first.

zincprincess
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t want to take a chance on voiding the warranty since this should be covered and might even be part of a recall.

I took the camera to BB to check my battery with their demo camera and their battery with my camera. There is nothing wrong with my battery. I’ve packaged it up to be sent off into the ether of Nikon service. This means I’ll be camera-less and cranky for at least 2 weeks.

Kestrana
    Participant

Is there a recall on the D5000 right now?

zincprincess
    Participant

According to Nikon’s website the recall took place in August 2009. Based on the serial number, my camera doesn’t fall under the recall. However, I experienced the exact malfunction that the recall was supposed to address.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D5000-Service-Advisory.page

Kestrana
    Participant

Ah yeah, I got mine in March of this year and I haven’t seen any problems with it, but worth calling them about it.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Good grief, 6 or 7 posts and no one’s been in to snark about buying a “proper” camera, i.e. a Canon?
    I’m shocked, SHOCKED!

Anyway, sorry to hear about your camera, zincprincess. Some Japanese websites I checked said the fault was a dodgy part used in the power on/off control. Hopefully easy to fix so you get it back soon.

Stories like yours are why I keep trying to persuade the missus to let me buy a “backup” digital camera.
    She just points at my mobile phone and says “that’s got a digital camera. Use that.”

Disclaimer: I don’t use Canon

zincprincess
    Participant

The camera is finally back. It was on parts hold for two weeks. And then I got on the phone with Nikon to inquire. Suddenly the part was in, and the camera was fixed. Today the UPS man brought it back to me.

I’m going to take pictures non-stop just so the camera knows I love it and missed it so.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘I think I killed the camera’ is closed to new replies.