I want to believe…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery I want to believe…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I’ve been looking for these forevar. There was a nice picture of it in the paper at the time, as well. It wasn’t my picture. 🙄 These are. (it’s really only two, Cropped tighter consecutively in even steps)

ennuipoet
    Participant

It’s a streetlight. 🙂

Farktographer
    Participant

Swamp gas reflecting the moonlight?

/edit to ask: How much did you zoom in to get that final shot? It’s impressive

nobigdeal
    Participant

The Aliens had a birthday party and one of the young aliens let go of their alien balloon and it floated away from the mothership.

chupathingie
    Participant
    Farktographer
    Participant

Nice!

Oh, you might want to keep one of these handy:
    http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/image.php?&aid=1400&air-force-identification-chart.gif

Wow! I was right?

ravnostic
    Participant

Swamp Gas. Earth humor.

//Love it!

There are two shots. The first four above are at 70mm (Tamron 70-300mm). Starting with a native resolution of 3888×2492 full frame, I shrank to 480×720. The second shot I cropped proportionately so that the long side was equal to the previous short side. I progressed to the 4th image, then switched to the one at 300mm, and repeated the process. The last image is the 300mm at full resolution (i.e., no compression in the crop.)

These were taken September 11, 2009. I clipped the article from the paper that described what it was exactly, but I’ve mislaid it since then. I’m just glad I found the pictures while archive diving! I’d thought I’d lost them.
    I suppose I could do the maths, but I’d wager a guess that the angular diameter was around 2-4 arc seconds. Something like that backlit by the moon would be incredible.

caradoc
    Participant

NICE! The best I’ve done is:

ravnostic
    Participant

Every bit as good, Caradoc, I just got lucky and noticed it after the sun had set (from my vantage point.) Did that happen to be the same one? Sept, 2009?

caradoc
    Participant

June 11, 2009. There was a string of ’em, and every time I spotted one I didn’t have a chance to shoot it – except this one.

(If you click on the image, you can look at the EXIF data – I keep mine visible for most images as I’m a moderator for the Flickr CLS group and it’s just easier to leave it enabled.)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘I want to believe…’ is closed to new replies.