I’m a little torn…should I get one?

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware I’m a little torn…should I get one?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    schnee
    Participant
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I just had a photography-gasm…

sleeping
    Participant

No, how are you going to get by with a measly 50 megapixels? You need one of these:
    http://www.betterlight.com/superModels.html

Killerclaw
    Participant

I want to be rich.

Analogy
    Participant

People get way too excited about plays in the numbers game. Oh boy, this camera has a bigger number on it, it must be better! It’s crap. I’d rather take a clean 8MP sensor with a wide dynamic range than a noisy 50 MP sensor that blows highlights. If you can make a clean 50MP sensor with good dynamic range all the better, but I really wish people would stop jumping all over it when the latest superficial advancement in the numbers game comes out and instead actually paid attention to the things that matter. Like, you know, how the pictures look. If the pictures look like crap I don’t care if I can zoom in on an eyelash in a head-to-toe shot, I’m going to go out and get a camera that takes good pictures.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

But..but…but…it’s medium format!

schnee
    Participant

IIRC, the camera on the Martian Rover was/is about 1 Megapixel. Those are pretty nice images (and/or image compositions).

corsec67
    Participant

IIRC, the camera on the Martian Rover was/is about 1 Megapixel. Those are pretty nice images (and/or image compositions).

Except that camera didn’t have a bayer array, it was a monochrome sensor with a bunch of filters they put in front of the lens.

caradoc
    Participant

I’d rather take a clean 8MP sensor with a wide dynamic range than a noisy 50 MP sensor that blows highlights.

In general, so would I.

But when you’re trying to set up 16 4′ x 8′ panels as the end result, megapixels really *do* count.

soosh
    Participant

god I want a 6×6 square digital format.

staplermofo
    Participant

god I want a 6×6 square digital format.

You should tell someone with more money. I don’t think god has that much.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘I’m a little torn…should I get one?’ is closed to new replies.