…in the Darkroom

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk …in the Darkroom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Klahanie
    Participant

I just scored a bunch of darkroom goodies, but I don’t have a safelight. Can I use a 25 watt red light bulb? I have one of those…

Klahanie
    Participant

Meh. I got conflicting results after googling, but it looks like a safelight is the least of what I need. 😕 I think the first thing I’ll do is order an owners manual for the enlarger. In the meantime I think I’ll just try developing a few rolls and scanning the negatives.

admin
    Keymaster

I just scored a bunch of darkroom goodies, but I don’t have a safelight. Can I use a 25 watt red light bulb? I have one of those…

You can use a red light bulb in a pinch, because most B&W papers are completely oblivious to *most* of the red portion of the visible spectrum. You’ll notice, however, that a purpose-made safelight is actually amber and coated to limit transmission to a very specific spectrum — and that 15 watts is generally considered the max, so either use a dimmer or move it a tad away.

Klahanie
    Participant

You can use a red light bulb in a pinch, because most B&W papers are completely oblivious to *most* of the red portion of the visible spectrum. You’ll notice, however, that a purpose-made safelight is actually amber and coated to limit transmission to a very specific spectrum — and that 15 watts is generally considered the max, so either use a dimmer or move it a tad away.

Thanks synthemesc. I’m really anxious to start playing with this stuff!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘…in the Darkroom’ is closed to new replies.