"It’s the guides" said the camera repairman.

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk "It’s the guides" said the camera repairman.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Participant

So while I was visiting my brother, I had my camera sitting on the dashboard in his car when he took a turn and the camera slid off the dash and crashed into the door panel. The result was that my EF-S 18-55 IS no longer auto-focuses and makes a clicking noise when I rotate the focus ring.

Since we were nearby the only camera repair shop in the entire Kansas City metro area, I stopped by to ask the guy for his recommendation. “It’s the guides,” he said, and followed up by saying the screws might be salvagable. I said the manual focus still works, so I’ll keep it, and picked up an EF 28-90 (likely a consumer kit lens from a film camera) for $100 used.

I like the zoom range of my new lens, since I’ve been wanting somthing centered around 55mm for a while. However, now that I’ve got an auto-focus gap between my Tamron 10-24 and Canon 28-90, I’m considering buying another EF-S 18-55 IS. I just can’t seem to justify the cost of the higher quality EF-S lenses, since one of these days I might move up to 35mm or APS-H sized sensors.

So, now my question is this, do I keep using the broken lens with manual focus only, or do I go all Orionid on it?

fluffybunny
    Participant

+1 for Orionidification

chupathingie
    Participant

Another.

There’s nothing you can take apart that ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶g̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ someone else can’t make money from. Still, I’d even have a go at dismantling it. You never know what kind of MacGuyver can be pulled on it without looking inside first. You’ll either fix it, not fix it and reassemble it, or have kit parts for the next DIY contest.

Yoyo
    Participant

Ok, follow-up questions.
    1. What exactly are the “guides”? I can hear the focus motor whirring when I half press the shutter button, but there’s no motion.
    2. Does anyone have a source for exploded diagrams of this particular one or a similar lens?
    3. Do I need any tools besides a selection of small screw drivers? Can a pair of drafting dividers be put into service as a spanner pin wrench?

chupathingie
    Participant

You’re the pioneer, get busy 😉

As far as I know, exploded diagrams for every Canon product are available to licensed repair personnel. They would make life so much easier. I know of one guy who might be able to help with that. My guess on the lens is that it’s likely more expensive to repair than what a new lens is worth, unless you DIY it.

staplermofo
    Participant

Does IS still work, and do you use it?

Yoyo
    Participant

I’m not really sure if the IS still works nor exactly how to test it. I know with my EF-S 55-250, when the IS goes on the lens shifts its aim upwards a bit, as evidenced by tripod shots of the sun over the past few weeks. I suppose if I listen closely, then I might be able to hear the IS gyros whir.

orionid
    Participant

Lemme mull on it. A Spanner is likely to be absolutely essential. I poke around some less savory sources for your service tech manual.

Yoyo
    Participant

I can fabricate a spanner or two as needed. Tonight I peeled off the flat ring on the front with the model that surrounds the front element. Lo and behold, there are 3 screws, and it looks like they’re cemented. Likewise with the 4 screws on the body end. One of them won’t unscrew, so it may be Dremel time. 🙁

chupathingie
    Participant

hmmmm… put a drop of alcohol or acetone on the screw head and let it soak… one of those two usually loosens stuff like that. Only one will work, if either do, depending on what the cement is based on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘"It’s the guides" said the camera repairman.’ is closed to new replies.