kit vs premium lenses

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware kit vs premium lenses

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

yesterday i had an epiphany. years of thinking of photos on film had blocked the obvious here. the light strikes a SENSOR which has different qualities than film.

here is an interesting article on sensors. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

sleeping probably knows all this by heart but it explained a lot to me.

we had been talking lens quality, auto focus vs manual, etc but not both the size of the capture device but the arithmetic calculations that make those ones and zeros become your photo. that i could adjust the “sharpen” feature in my new camera brought this aspect of the discussion into focus 🙂

to quote jeff from fark; “you get over it”. i better understand the limitations of my equipment now and until i win the powerball and can replace my amateur stuff with professional stuff will be happy with what i have. despite it’s limitations i love digital photography if for no other reason than i can take virtually unlimited photos. and i love taking photos.

thanks to all for their input.

ravnostic
    Participant

That’s an excellent article, Curious. It tells me I’m doing okay with my photography–even pushing some limits now and again.

It’s very true about them wafers that the sensors are made upon. My job, IRL, is making computer wafers (I work in the lithography and ion implantation areas.) We don’t make sensors, but the principle is the same. Some of our wafers contain many 1000’s of chips on each one (8″ wafer, chips 1.5 x 2 mm, over 8K chips once you discount scribe lines between them), and they can ‘retail’ for as little as 30-50 cents–and it takes 30-40 days to create the chips, passing through hundreds of steps and 140 people and a ton of equipment that can cost millions to purchase and thousands to operate. We can make money on that because we’re producing them in lots of 25 wafers each. I often carry a box of product that will sell for over $100K, with chips that will sell for under a buck each.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘kit vs premium lenses’ is closed to new replies.