Lighting

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Lighting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    veruca
    Participant

Looking for suggestions for good mobile lighting solutions. My photos come out with this pink tinge using my current setup (architects lamp on dining room table). Any suggestions?

monkeybort
    Participant

Looking for suggestions for good mobile lighting solutions. My photos come out with this pink tinge using my current setup (architects lamp on dining room table). Any suggestions?

do you shoot digital? as a temporary measure you could set a custom white balance to negate the pinkishness until you come up with some lighting solutions.

veruca
    Participant

do you shoot digital? as a temporary measure you could set a custom white balance to negate the pinkishness until you come up with some lighting solutions.

Good idea. I saw something a while back called ‘snap lights’ or something like that but lost the link.

I just hate that darkness comes so early these days and I get no natural light. 😥

admin
    Keymaster

The lamp isn’t perchance, flourescent, is it?

veruca
    Participant

The lamp isn’t perchance, flourescent, is it?

My architects lamp takes one of those tiny tubes. Pardon my ignorance but I forget what they’re called. Is that flourescent? Above is a regular light bulb…100 watt.

Anonymous
    Participant

Smith Victor sells a cheap kit with two hot lights for $115 or so. Also, don’t forget the Home Depot school of lighting. Cheap work lights on towers, fairly white, slightly tungsten on the white balance light. Take the wire mesh off the front. Can be had for $20-$40 depending on where you go. Just don’t burn your house down with them 😉

Personally, I use an SB-600 and SB-800 Nikon, with reflectors, filters, etc. Not as strong a studio flash setup, but I can take it anywhere, and the remote command is wireless, so I can toss the SB-600 in odd places for interesting lighting effects. I’ve taped it to things before, or I just have someone hold it for me sometimes.

Anonymous
    Participant

Probably a halogen bulb. Buy a new bulb. Get a color balance one. You want a color temperature of 5200 to 5500?K and a CRI as close to 100 as possible.

veruca
    Participant
    SmarmBeast wrote:
    two hot lights for $115 or so.

Quote:
    That must have been what I saw before I lost the link. Kept thinking snap lights for some reason. Thanks 🙂

SmarmBeast wrote:
    Just don’t burn your house down with them 😉

Quote:
    Haha.

GE makes some incandescant full spectrum bulbs. I think they’re called “Reveal” or something like that. I’ve gotten good results w/o flash when the room is brightly lit by those lights.

veruca
    Participant

GE makes some incandescant full spectrum bulbs. I think they’re called “Reveal” or something like that. I’ve gotten good results w/o flash when the room is brightly lit by those lights.

That’s funny, I was looking at those the other night at Target. May have to give them a shot, thanks!

chakalakasp
    Participant

You can get surprisingly good results just by mounting your flash inside a flash umbrella. That’s cheap (only the cost of the umbrella + stand + a gizmo to wirelessly fire the flash) and works pretty well for a ghetto rig. 🙂

landseer18
    Participant

Do you have/use photoshop? If so learn to use the curves dialog to fix color casts. Easy fix to a myriad of issues.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Lighting’ is closed to new replies.