Liquid Lenses

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Liquid Lenses

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    LeicaLens
    Participant

Seems that Sony has taken out a patent for “liquid lenses”. They use electric currents to change the curvature of the lenses.
    The link below goes to a patent site, which is pretty technical (I was told there would be no maths).
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0277923.html

This site has a brief summary of what it means:
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/a-look-into-the-future-sony-is-working-on-liquid-lenses/

Consensus is that the technology is only possible for small lenses, and is still someway off. Interesting idea, though.

ravnostic
    Participant

If they use hufuf oil, they can be made much bigger.

chupathingie
    Participant

INteresting that you should bring this up… I just stumbled on this myself a few days ago while doing some random reading on ferrofluids.

caradoc
    Participant

If they use hufuf oil, they can be made much bigger.

+1 for the Dune reference.

Not sure they can patent it – prior art exists.

orionid
    Participant

Interesting. I was reading a different article where the “big two” are experimenting with various optical fluids to sandwhich between lenses to reduce the overall amount of glass needed, and therfore reducing overall cost.

chupathingie
    Participant

A lot of existing doublets and triplets are oil-spaced already. Several APO manufacturers have been using that arrangement for years.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Interesting. I was reading a different article where the “big two” are experimenting with various optical fluids to sandwhich between lenses to reduce the overall amount of glass needed, and therfore reducing overall cost.

It will take a LOT to convince me that it will not reduce quality at the same time.

orionid
    Participant

Likewise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Liquid Lenses’ is closed to new replies.