Lomography

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Lomography

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    QueenBee
    Participant

I was in NYC this weekend and stopped into the Guggenheim’s gift shop were I found A fish eye lens and a sprocket rocket camera. Both are under 100 bucks and I think would be be fun toys to have in my collection.

I especially love that the Sprocket Rocket has a knob so you can dial back the film for double exposures.

I was just wondering if anyone ever used either before and what they thought of them.

In case you haven’t heard of them, here are the links:

http://usa.shop.lomography.com/sprocket-rocket

http://usa.shop.lomography.com/cameras/fisheye-cameras/fisheye-no-2-white-edition-1

Also, anyone know anything about redscale film? I had never heard of it before I went looking online for the cameras

orionid
    Participant

1) Lomography – using a camera made of sub-par materials for the “so-bad-it’s-good” feel. I like it. But I’m more of a low-fi aspect than actual lomography. I can’t see paying nearly $100 for a camera that by design takes shiatty pictures. Go to ToysR’Us and find a $10 toy camera, or find an old box camera at Goodwill. Please don’t pay for intentional crap.

Underpass by Orionid, on Flickr

Diesel by Orionid, on Flickr

For the fisheye lomo, get a toy camera and a $6 peephole from home depot. Glue the peephole to the outside of the lens on the camera.

2) Redscale – again, please don’t pay overinflated prices for something that should be cheap.
    get a small dark bag (film changing bag) for $15 from b&h or Adorama. Get a cheap roll of color film from walgreens. Inside the bag, completely unspool the film, cut it with enough of a tab that you can tape to, reverse the film so that it will roll emulsion side out, instead of normal emulsion side in. Tape it to the tape well enough that it won’t separate inside your camera. re-roll onto the spool, leave the tab out. depending on your camera, you might have to trim the feed end so the feeder faces the right way.

Go forth and shoot at 1.5 stops overexsposure.

here comes the science: there is no such thing as “redscale” film, simply color film backwards. The film itsself filter the light as it passes through so that the only light that reaches the emulsion is of the red/yellow spectra.

img517 by Orionid, on Flickr

img523 by Orionid, on Flickr

Redscale Monolith Tomb by Orionid, on Flickr

QueenBee
    Participant

Very cool. I will look into that stuff. Thanks 🙂

ennuipoet
    Participant

What Orionid said! Lomography the art and craft is all cool. Lomography the Sales Pitch is profound fraud. Paying top dollar for sub par equipment easily found for pennies on ebay is the sort of thing Hipsters do with their father’s credit card.

nobigdeal
    Participant

What Orionid said! Lomography the art and craft is all cool. Lomography the Sales Pitch is profound fraud. Paying top dollar for sub par equipment easily found for pennies on ebay is the sort of thing Hipsters do with their father’s credit card.

This…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Lomography’ is closed to new replies.