Looking for Advice

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Looking for Advice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kc9fsh
    Participant

I’m fairly new to the world of shooting with a DSLR so I’d appreciate it if some of you could give me your opinions on the following shots along with what you think I could have changed to possibly make the photos turn out better.

Thanks for any input!

caradoc
    Participant

What do you feel is “wrong” or could be “improved” for these images?

jpatten
    Participant

They look great to me, though in the second image it looks like the lens could use a little cleaning maybe, otherwise they look great. especially the first one

soosh
    Participant

You’re dealing with some pretty difficult lighting situations. What sort of lens are you using? What’s your f-stop, ISO, and exposure time in those shots? Do you have a filter on the lens? Are you using a lens hood?

kc9fsh
    Participant

What do you feel is “wrong” or could be “improved” for these images?

I like the images however other people have told me that they don’t think they are good pictures. When I would ask them why they couldn’t come up with anything. I basically wanted other opinions on them.

You’re dealing with some pretty difficult lighting situations. What sort of lens are you using? What’s your f-stop, ISO, and exposure time in those shots? Do you have a filter on the lens? Are you using a lens hood?

Here are the settings.

First shot:
    ExposureTime : 34.00Sec
    FNumber : F6.3
    ISOSpeedRatings : 100

Second shot:
    ExposureTime : 30.00Sec
    FNumber : F10.0

Third shot:
    ExposureTime : 31.00Sec
    FNumber : F8.0

Fourth shot:
    ExposureTime : 20.00Sec
    FNumber : F13.0

Right now I’m just using the lens that came with my Rebel XT, it is a 18-55mm lens and I am not using a lens hood. I am using a UV filter, but that is mainly just to protect the lens.
    I could probably bump up the ISO speed, and have started to experiment with that a bit, but I am trying to avoid getting the grain that typically comes with the higher ISO speeds.

I am just starting to look into another piece of glass but I need to do more research on that and save up the money.

soosh
    Participant

for night stuff, take off the filter. That’s a ~ $100 lens, and you’ll likely get a lot less flare. I wouldn’t go up any higher with ISO. If anything, I would try to get those same shots a little less exposed. Are you shooting in manual mode? I’d back it off to about 1 stop under-exposed from what you have and see how that works. It looks like you’re trying to get long exposure streaks. If that’s the case, a Neutral Density filter may help you keep the long exposure times without washing out the scene. You can go a lot darker with your dark areas and the lights will stand out more.

If you’re not shooting in Aperture priority or Manual mode, try switching to that. I shoot probably 80% of the time in aperture priority, only switching out to manual when I want to go to bulb or otherwise beyond what the camera thinks I should do.

I do most of my night shooting with a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens that I absolutely love. When it’s too wide, I use a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Both of these lenses are phenomenal, and if you can afford them, I highly recommend them.

Also the f-stop will have a huge difference in the kind of halo you get from lights. Play around with all different settings. I rarely go beyond f/16, because then diffraction can be an issue and introduce fuzziness in the scene.

kc9fsh
    Participant

for night stuff, take off the filter. That’s a ~ $100 lens, and you’ll likely get a lot less flare. I wouldn’t go up any higher with ISO. If anything, I would try to get those same shots a little less exposed. Are you shooting in manual mode? I’d back it off to about 1 stop under-exposed from what you have and see how that works. It looks like you’re trying to get long exposure streaks. If that’s the case, a Neutral Density filter may help you keep the long exposure times without washing out the scene. You can go a lot darker with your dark areas and the lights will stand out more.

If you’re not shooting in Aperture priority or Manual mode, try switching to that. I shoot probably 80% of the time in aperture priority, only switching out to manual when I want to go to bulb or otherwise beyond what the camera thinks I should do.

I do most of my night shooting with a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens that I absolutely love. When it’s too wide, I use a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Both of these lenses are phenomenal, and if you can afford them, I highly recommend them.

Also the f-stop will have a huge difference in the kind of halo you get from lights. Play around with all different settings. I rarely go beyond f/16, because then diffraction can be an issue and introduce fuzziness in the scene.

Thanks for all the tips! I’ll try to get out sometime this weekend and experiment a bit more.
    I didn’t even think about taking the filter off at night but what you are saying about lens flare makes complete sense and after looking at the second shot I posted it shows pretty well.

If I get a chance to go out this weekend I’ll post up a few more pictures.

Thanks again,
    Tim

caradoc
    Participant

for night stuff, take off the filter.

I’d add that putting a lens hood on will also help control lens flare and ghosting.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Looking for Advice’ is closed to new replies.