Looking for image library management

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk Looking for image library management

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

I heard that Aperture was disappointing, and the only other one I’ve familiar with is iView MediaPro. Anybody ever used Extensis Portfolio, for example?

monkeybort
    Participant

I heard that Aperture was disappointing, and the only other one I’ve familiar with is iView MediaPro. Anybody ever used Extensis Portfolio, for example?

you haven’t heard good things about aperture? i haven’t heard *anything* about it, but what a bummer if it sucks. it looks like it should be really cool.

but to answer your question, i don’t have any good system of image management at the moment other than keywording and folder organization, which really isn’t all that feasible.

so that doesn’t answer your question at all!! *grin* sorry!

neonstz
    Participant

I’ve tried Aperture. I don’t like the Apple “pro interface” (buttons and stuff are too tiny). I wasn’t impressed with the speed either, but that may be my graphics card. I’m still using Adobe Bridge/Camera Raw/Photoshop. There was an upgrade to Aperture today however, so maybe I should try it again…

admin
    Keymaster

you haven’t heard good things about aperture?

See: the review and the followup. Apparently it’s got some issues that if fixed, could be pretty cool — but right now they’re too slow or buggy to be of use.

Born Slippy
    Participant

A lot of PJs are using Photo Mechanic, however the Free Google Picassa is doing OK by me.

I’ve been using version 1.6 of Picasa for a while. I tried version 2 but I didn’t care much for the changes to the organization tools.

I’ve also tried Cumulus (IIRC) and found that to be clumsy and slow.

Stu_Padasso
    Participant

I’m in the same boat looking for a good image management software. I’ve had Picasa for a few weeks, to give it an honest shot. I like how fast and smooth it is. My complaint though is that it insists on making dang folders and dividing them by the date of the file! In theory it’s a good idea, and there are some folders that I’m happy that it does it for. I just wish you could turn off the “sort by date” feature, or better yet, make a misc. folder that is not sorted that way. So maybe I’ll keep looking.

Anonymous
    Participant

I’ve had Picasa for a few weeks, to give it an honest shot. I like how fast and smooth it is.

To be fair, I think the OP was looking for Mac software, and Picasa is Windows only. I can’t contribute to the Mac side myself either – sorry.

But for Windows: check out ACDSee Pro. I was averse because I remember the weak versions from years ago, but today’s software has answered most of my needs and then some. (If it could handle my NEFs, I’d be all set…)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Looking for image library management’ is closed to new replies.