Mauna Kea Observatory visit

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Mauna Kea Observatory visit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

As a prospective graduate student at the Institute for Astronomy, I was taken up to Mauna Kea for a tour of the facilities. We got a 2 hour tour of the Subaru (8.2 meter telescope) facility, looked in at Keck, had a crazy visit to IRTF, and generally had a good time. Subaru was so big, I almost needed a wider lens to capture it. Maybe now I have a good reason to fund that fisheye lens I’ve always wanted.

Subaru:

The rest of the gallery can be accessed by going here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Darth.Java/IfA?feat=directlink

There’s one or two images with me in them, which were obviously taken by somebody other than me. You can assume the ones that look crap weren’t taken by me-nobody else there knew how to frame or meter a shot properly.

ravnostic
    Participant

You’d think astronomers would be better with things like focal lengths, exposure times, aperture, etc., wouldn’t you?

I love these shots. Have I asked if I can come to Hawaii and crash at your place?

//can I come to Hawaii and crash at your place?

orionid
    Participant

There’s one or two images with me in them, which were obviously taken by somebody other than me. You can assume the ones that look crap weren’t taken by me-nobody else there knew how to frame or meter a shot properly.

Which one’s you?

SilverStag
    Participant

So, does it come in an F mount?

ravnostic
    Participant

He’s the pretty blond chick.

;-p

orionid
    Participant

You’ll probably have to get the T-mount adapter.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Which one’s you?

I’m this one:

In back of me from left to right:
    IRTF (3 meter), CFHT (4 meter), Gemini North (8 meter), UH 88″, UKIRT (4 meter).

While I was visiting, I talked to the guy who will probably be my thesis advisor. He wants to get me started observing on Keck right away. I’m a little excited.

EDIT: and, yes, Rav, you’re welcome to come stay with me.

Curious
    Participant

i was counting the observatories in one of your shots. pretty impressive collection. especially to a guy who has only seen the one in rebel without a cause*.

*Griffith Observatory

SilverStag
    Participant

You’ll probably have to get the T-mount adapter.

Cheap 3rd party tele lenses…. (grumbles)

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Yes, cheap. Very cheap.

Also, did you guys know that when it was commissioned, they used Subaru for eyepiece observing for a few nights? Mind=blown.

orionid
    Participant

Yes, cheap. Very cheap.

Also, did you guys know that when it was commissioned, they used Subaru for eyepiece observing for a few nights? Mind=blown.

I did. I also saw the mirror while it was in an underground facility near pittsburgh still being ground and polished.

/My dad worked for one of the two co-contractors that made the optics.
    //Unfortunately, that was during my mid-teen film-is-too-expensive-and-what’s-a-digital years, so no pics.

Edited to Add: I had my money on the skinny dude hanging off the support rail.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Mauna Kea Observatory visit’ is closed to new replies.