More of a Meta Theme

Forums Forums Projects and Collaborations Photoshoptography More of a Meta Theme

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    schnee
    Participant

Howabout some sort of cross-over theme with our Photoshopping Friends?

Two possibilities:

1) Concurrent: The same theme gets sent to Photoshoppers and Farktographers at the same time, both contests hit TF at the same time and get greenlit to the main page at the same time. Obviously, the theme has to be friendly to both sets of artists (the upcoming “Different Perspective” inspired this line of thought).

2) Sequential: The top three winners of a Farktography contest seed a Photoshop contest. A repeat of “Teh Funnay” as an example. Or maybe ANY entry – this would open the field.

Some difficulties lie in getting threads to greenlight at the same time, and Photoshop themes are not available to ‘liters until they hit the main page (where Farktography themes are available to all), so some care would be need to protect the TF advantage (this seems easier to do with #2).

I think we’d need help from ‘Shoppers to select a theme and from mods to get it all going.

As far as timing, when is the 1-year anniversary of Farktography?

logomancer
    Participant

Schnee:

This last week’s contest was #43, so we presumably have nine weeks to hit that mark.

I love, love, love the idea of a crossover theme.

PS: Nice to see that shroom picture get more exposure!

veruca
    Participant

As far as timing, when is the 1-year anniversary of Farktography?

Technically it’s May 12th, but the 10th falls on a Wednesday. So…should we propose the crossover theme as a 1 year anniversary blowout? Or should we pick from a list of themes and make a poll?

I really like your ideas schnee; sounds like a lot of fun.

schnee
    Participant

So…should we propose the crossover theme as a 1 year anniversary blowout? Or should we pick from a list of themes and make a poll?

A poll seems good, especially if we advertise it on the photoshop discussions. We really need to involve the ‘Shoppers. Anyone know any of them? Should someone just make a post to Fark and let that process work it out? I’d be happy to make that post, but as a ‘liter, I can’t really participate in the discussion past that (and no, this isn’t a sponsorship whoring). Maybe we could drive the ‘Shoppers to these forums for a discussion?

Edit – I just submitted a Fark link to this discussion. Can some of you TFers fill in details on TotalFark? (Link ID = 1943659)

I think we should pick either concurrent or sequential.

I think sequential would be easier for all involved. Concurrent could come later.

A potential sequential theme could be “Photoshopper Friendly” – post three photos that would lend themselves to ‘Shopping. With something like that, a votes could really matter as ‘Shoppers voted on what they’d like to tear into. Re-entries from past contests should be enabled, I think, but that’s just me. We could spin the contest as Farktography’s present to Fark for a successful first year.

logomancer
    Participant

Amen, brother. Amwn.

idle_hands
    Participant

hiya, neat idea schnee

i think TFer spiffyandredhot wanted to know if farktographers would make their images available for Pshoppin’ once upon a time (?)

*smacks head to jog memory*

i have to head out to the pool right now but the PSAE might be a good place to start to talk with PSers about doing a cross over theme

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=603784

veruca
    Participant

Edit – I just submitted a Fark link to this discussion. Can some of you TFers fill in details on TotalFark? (Link ID = 1943659)

Looks like you’re a TotalFarker to me… 😛
    Have at it and see what you can find out. You could also inquire Wednesday night because, if I remember right, there are some p’shoppers who also do farktography.

schnee
    Participant

Thank you for that :). It really means a lot.

I checked my submission and it failed to generate any comments. I’ll probably use my newly-given TF powers to hang out in the FPAE forum and see if I can drum up some interest for the crossover.

veruca
    Participant

Thank you for that :). It really means a lot.

I checked my submission and it failed to generate any comments. I’ll probably use my newly-given TF powers to hang out in the FPAE forum and see if I can drum up some interest for the crossover.

You are very welcome. Look forward to hearing what you find out.

elleonheels
    Participant

I just spotted Schnee’s post in the PSAE. Sounds like a fun idea. Count me in, I’ll be happy to mangle some poor soul’s terrific photo. 🙂

greyjello
    Participant

I also saw schnee’s post on the PSAE and thought I’d come join the ranks of you Farktographers.

The cross-over sounds like a great idea and should be a lot of fun! Definitely something we should all persue. Many good creative challenges could come of it. I look forward to contributing (maybe on both sides of the field).

Cheers!

schnee
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about the cross-over. It is a meta-vision and I’m struggling with an actual vision.

There seemed to be enthusiatic support for it over on the FPAEF, along with some pretty good advise on what makes a good candidate for shopping:

1) Focus, focus, focus. It is very important to have an all-over sharp photo – that makes it easier for the ‘shoppers to mix-and-match elements.

2) The subject fully in frame

3) The photojournalistic F8-and-Be-There (whatever that means…)

With those in mind, we could select a decent theme that fits those, let everyone know that this is the cross-over thread and then toss the winner and the runners-up over to the ‘shoppers. We’d probably want to “advertise” heavily to entice people to vote (since the ‘shoppers would have a vested interest).

I’m thinking that a repeat of “Teh Funnay” could work – the ‘shoppers could make it funnier. Maybe something as vague as “Focus people, focus!”. Or “Crowds”. Or even “F8 and Be There” (journalistic-style photos – photos of events).

TFer Ike meantioned that a photo that is intended to be shopped kind of kills the thrill of shopping, but then he backed away from that statement once he checked out the Farktography Forum. Still, I think he has a point.

How about bouncing this around a bit? Who else has some ideas for the cross-over?

staplermofo
    Participant

How about bouncing this around a bit? Who else has some ideas for the cross-over?

I really like the cross-over idea, but I have the following concerns:

1. Not all farktographers are willing to subject their photos for photoshopping, and although I don’t understand it, I think we should respect it and try not to alienate them.

2. There doesn’t seem to be much direct communication with farktographers and photoshoppers, at least not on the scale that I think this warrants.

So, I was thinking we should either make a place in the forum for cross-over discussion with the photoshoppers and invite them over (farkshopgraphy forums?), or advertise a way for the average farktographer and photoshopper to communicate their thoughts to both groups.
    I was also thinking we might want to keep this separate from the regular weekly farktography for the sake of those who’d rather not be photoshopped (and don’t want to flaunt their stodginess), and because I don’t think weekly contests are burning anyone out.

It really sounds like a lot of fun, but the pressure is kinda high to come up with the way to work it, so to lessen that load why not propose a couple different ways, try them out and play it by ear from there? (ie, this fri farktographers choose the photoshoppers’s theme and vice versa, next fri photoshoppers combine different farktographs, the fri after that farktographers and photoshoppers pair up to fulfill a theme, etc). Trying to get it perfect on the first shot is just too daunting for wimps like me.

Does anyone know if we can get greenlights on demand for this?

(note: staplermofo is a babbling old ne’er-do-well and his suggestions aren’t to be taken all that seriously)

schnee
    Participant

2. There doesn’t seem to be much direct communication with farktographers and photoshoppers, at least not on the scale that I think this warrants.

I’ve tried to increase that communication. This link

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=603784&hoursago=432&hours=72&ok=true

will take TF’ers to the FPAEF discussion held about 18 days ago. Search for “schnee” to find the thread.

There seemed to be a bunch of support from the ‘shoppers and they were invited to come join this thread in this here forum.

I hear what you are saying with respect to “greenlight-on-demand” – I’ve wondered about that as well. At the beginning of March, I submitted a photoshop contest thread with a “Photoshop the winner of a Farktography context” headline which went absolutely nowhere. We’ll probably need mod help with the greenlighting.

I also hear what you are saying about photogs who don’t want their art ‘shopped. I think that could be handled by making it clear that “this” particular contest is the cross-over contest and by participating in “this” contest, the photog is giving consent for ‘shopping.

Making this a “Very Special Farktography Contest” outside of the weeklies is a good idea.

veruca
    Participant

As requested there’s a new forum on the front page named photoshoptography. I can change the name if you guys hate it 😛 Moving this discussion over.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘More of a Meta Theme’ is closed to new replies.