More photos

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Saldo1981
    Participant

Well I always told myself I’d never do a picture of the day type blog but then again my mother said never say never. I haven’t been using my camera much and thought at least this way I’ll have a project to keep me using the camera and getting better. I’ve uploaded a few new pictures at

http://saldo1981.blogspot.com/

As always suggestions are welcome.

Curious
    Participant

well it’s a darned lot better than what i shot this last weekend. is the file size due to limits imposed by the hosting site? i ask because i’m not sure how much sharper it might be if not compressed.

but catching a humming bird at all is good.

Saldo1981
    Participant

To be honest I couldn’t get a nice sharp picture. Must save up for a Vibration Reduction lens, yea I need one, why oh why did I buy a motorcycle? I’m sure uploading it via picasa did something to it too but it makes it so easy to post and write. Oh so I can stop pretty much anywhere to take a photograph. It’s always something.

Incase you didn’t realize you can click on the picture for a larger version that isn’t too far off the original.

Curious
    Participant

Incase you didn’t realize you can click on the picture for a larger version that isn’t too far off the original.

that’s why i ask. the small size looks good but the larger isn’t sharp.

i was shooting with my 70-300 zoom saturday at full zoom and ended up leaned against a dumpster to get steady. i do have image stabilization in the camera body but even with it i haven’t learned how to hold that lens yet. got a monopod for christmas but hadn’t brought it along since i wasn’t planning to use the long lens. the monopod was <$20 from wal-mart and works really well if you push down on it some. better than either of my mid sized tripods do. but they aren't really designed for full sized DSLRs.

Saldo1981
    Participant

I should invest in a monopod. The hummingbird was taken in my front yard, well it’s actually a garden that’s approaching a jungle so I wouldn’t have to worry about taking it with me. I uploaded the shots that I took, bad ones and all from today at http://picasaweb.google.com/rsoldano They are the same compression since it all goes through picasa. Gotta love google for making it easy to do everything.

Curious
    Participant

google may make it easy but they are playing hell with your photos. i took a look at some of mine that are the same size in pixels and they are 6 or 7 times the size in KB. you have some real nice shots there that the compression took all the sharpness from. for example “photo 27 of 191” which downloads as DSC_0053-1.jpg is a butterfly on a lantana (?) flower and looks like it was properly focused and should be critically sharp but just doesn’t bring it off. instead of popping off the screen it’s soft. not blurry or out of focus just soft — as in not as crisp as it should be.

and i’m not trying to be harsh or super critical here. more of the IMHO type of thing. my photos and skill level don’t put me in any position to throw rocks.

so three more questions. 1) what, if any, crop factor does the D50 have. in other words is that full frame sensor or 1.5 which would make the 300mm effectively a 450mm? 2) when you took those what was the original file size 3) what was the camera set to – jpg, fine, super fine?

Saldo1981
    Participant

The D50 has a 1.5 crop, the original file size is around 2mb (3008×2000) on the highest jpeg setting. I could shoot in raw and I usually do but my roommate was using my camera and I forgot to set it back.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘More photos’ is closed to new replies.