My first attempt at photography for art’s sake

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery My first attempt at photography for art’s sake

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    filler13
    Participant

I posted this thread today and was advised to come here for some help- yesterday I started playing around with my digital camera just for fun, and really enjoyed it. Here’s a small gallery of some of the pictures I took that I liked.

Essentially, I think this is something I’d really like to do more, but I know next to NOTHING about photography, and my camera is just a point-and-shoot Canon, nothing fancy.

Any comments on the pics, and advice for a total beginner? [/url]

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I mentioned this in your thread, but you have a natural eye for composition already. Look up the Rule of Thirds, then compare to your gallery. The shots you liked are already composed along those lines. This isn’t to say that the Rule of Thirds must never be broken, but it’s a good starting point for composition.

You can do a lot with a point-and-shoot Canon–that’s what I started off with when I started learning photography. The camera certainly plays a role, but the photographer is the key. A shitty photographer can take shitty pictures with a $1500 camera, while an awesome photographer can take awesome pictures regardless what camera you give him/her. Having an eye for what works in an image (as your photos show you already do) is what you need to start.

Next up, you’ll want to learn the relationship between aperture (the opening of the lens), depth of field (the extent of your photo that will be in focus), and shutter speed. You can look these things up online and get a lot of info, but you can also just set your camera on manual mode if you have it and start experimenting with combinations of shutter speed and aperture and what that does for your exposures and depth of field.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction. I’m sure others will jump in as well.

staplermofo
    Participant

I like those shots.

Enter farktography contests and constantly pester people for advice.
    It forces you to try new things and be creative, and concepts and advice are easier to understand and apply when you’re trying to get something done. A lot of times someone whose style you generally dislike will pop in with something you never would have thought to do. Plus the steady stream of wildly different shots will help you figure out what you like.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Those are great points, ‘mofo

/caresses her spikey stapler lovingly

schnee
    Participant

Enter farktography contests and constantly pester people for advice.

He knows all about that pestering part.

While online resources (websites, forums, Farktography contests) are pretty useful, don’t discount actually hooking up with creative types in the off-line world.

staplermofo
    Participant

He knows all about that pestering part.

Who says I pester!?
    Was it idle_hands, tea, Elsinore, 1TBat10000rpm, Klahanie… um… point taken, never mind.

don’t discount actually hooking up with creative types in the off-line world.

He’s right. In the end, all art is multidisciplinary and interstitial. Any creative types will do. A lot of things will only come up when you’re there in person.
    I read a book with chapters once!

staplermofo
    Participant

So… um… is that the kind of stuff you were looking for?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘My first attempt at photography for art’s sake’ is closed to new replies.