NEF + jpg fine in camera -or- NEF only and convert later

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware NEF + jpg fine in camera -or- NEF only and convert later

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

I know orionid shoots both but he uses the .jpgs just as thumbnails that are easy for him to look at when determining what to process, and processes the .nef file.

I see I’m not needed here… That’s the ONLY reason I even bother shooting to .jpg.

Yar.

Same here I shoot both because windows doesn’t display raw files so the jpeg is my thumbnail for finding the shot I was thinking about. then process the raw file to my liking.

ravnostic
    Participant

FWIW, I kinda stopped shooting the jpegs with the raws in my new 2Ti body. at 25mb each image, I figured the jpeg was just wasting card space. But when I get a collection of larger cards (and that’s going to happen), I’ll go back for the same reasons others do, apparently.

fluffybunny
    Participant

The image viewer I have used for many years is XnView (windoze). It handles Canon RAW (possibly Nikon, don’t know) and just about anything else. It also does limited scripted processing if you have simple tasks to perform on bulk images (I used to have make small jpeg copies where I didn’t have them from the camera).

Oh yeah, and best of all,… it’s free.

/my 0.02 dead presidents

bender16v
    Participant

But when I get a collection of larger cards (and that’s going to happen), I’ll go back for the same reasons others do, apparently.

This discussion got me thinking since I’ve only been saving JPEGs but my body has two cards. I went out and bought two new PNY Pro 32Gb cards and set the camera to write RAW to the first and JPEGs to the second. Now after about every 10 shots I get card failures. Oh well, the best laid plans… I guess my point is to be careful when buying cards to make sure they work.

ravnostic
    Participant

iwantoeatyourchildren Your camera probably isn’t able to work with such large cards. With my xTi, I bought a 16 gig. it re-formated to 8 Gb, then would fail. in the instruction manual, I learned 8G was the maximum the camera could accept. Someone here bought the 16 gig from me.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘NEF + jpg fine in camera -or- NEF only and convert later’ is closed to new replies.