New glass

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware New glass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

A quick and dirty on some new glass I picked up. I was looking to buy a Nikkor Series E 50mm f/1.8 yesterday, but the deal fell through (damn you craigslist guy – I’m trying to give you money, you’re not supposed to hide from me!). Today I found someone selling a package deal including a nearly-40-year-old Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4. Long story short, for just a couple bucks more, I got an awesome lens made in ’72 that’s been modded to AI that sits perfectly into my D7000. Plamadude, I know you in particular have been looking at new glass for your D7k too, so I thought you might be interested in this deal – it set me back a little over $80.

I’ve had the lens for about *checks watch* 30 minutes now, so here’s a real fast collection I shot in my neighborhood once I got home. Starting at f/1.4 I shot a couple close-ups. The bokeh is strong with this one.

That super-narrow DoF is going to take some getting used to.

Lowering to f/4, I still got very appreciable bokeh.

The narrowest aperture available on this one is f/16, giving a decent shot of the view across the street from me.

I haven’t had the chance to give this lens a full run, but it seems like it’s worth the money so far. Especially since I’m on a tight budget and am not going to be coming up with $400 for the AF-Nikkor new version anytime soon.

/If this post doesn’t belong in Hardware and is more suited as a gallery, feel free to move. Just thought it seemed like a hardware sort of post 😆
    //edit to specify: these are unaltered shots – just changed from .NEF to .jpg and submitted.

chupathingie
    Participant

heh… that lens looks vaguely familiar…

55mm f1.2, found for $20 in a camera shop in Pocatello Idaho a few years ago. Couldn’t pass it up, but I still have yet to get to a dark-sky site to do what I wanted to with it…

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Awesome. Am I to understand from your comment that this deal is still available? If so, please direct me to where I might be able to take advantage of it.

Farktographer
    Participant

Awesome. Am I to understand from your comment that this deal is still available? If so, please direct me to where I might be able to take advantage of it.

er…deal in the sense of the word that it exists 😕 Sorry if I mislead you. I was able to find other ones comparably priced on ebay, and there were more than just this one on my craigslist listing. Hopeful you’d be able to find something similar in your area, though.

/edit to say something like this listing in your town of Tucson: http://tucson.craigslist.org/pho/2316765118.html
    They have a 50mm f/1.4 that’s at least 20 years old, so probably very similar to mine. If they don’t have the AI adapted mount on it already, you could probably knock off some extra bucks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘New glass’ is closed to new replies.