New Lens!! :)

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware New Lens!! :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

I picked up a new lens. It’s a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 DG EX Aspherical lens.
    I bought one of these a few months ago at Ritz camera but was so unimpressed with the image quality that I returned it. I really wanted a midrange zoom with a large aperture as a walkaround lens.I had been saving my pesos to buy a Canon 24.70L lens until I saw this on eBay. It had almost no bids and was ending in 20 minutes. The guy had it listed as a film lens only and said the focus motor was noisy. Well because I had just dealt with this lens I know that it was a digital lens and the motor is noisy because it is not a HSM.

I put a lowball bid on it (under $200)and won it. It seems to work pretty good, much sharper than the other copy I had, even at 2.8.

Now maybe my saved up lens pesos can go to a 10-20?

Samples I have taken so far. Didn’t get to take many last night as my allergies went crazy and my eyes were watering too much.
    Most of these were taken earlier this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21629306@N00/sets/72157618543971531/

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Sweet! Congrats!

staplermofo
    Participant

Nice.

Killerclaw
    Participant

nice deal.

Curious
    Participant

from sigma’ site Optimized for digital SLR cameras so it seems the previous owner can’t use the internets*. but that worked out well for you since that site also has a MSRP of $750 USD.

*except for ebay.

nice shots so far.

and speaking of not knowing things, it wasn’t until i read the specs for that lens that i found out lenses now come with one F stop though out their zoom range.

nobigdeal
    Participant

from sigma’ site Optimized for digital SLR cameras so it seems the previous owner can’t use the internets*. but that worked out well for you since that site also has a MSRP of $750 USD.

*except for ebay.

nice shots so far.

and speaking of not knowing things, it wasn’t until i read the specs for that lens that i found out lenses now come with one F stop though out their zoom range.

The seller was supposed to be a photo shop. Guess they are not a very good one. Reading the feedback there was a lot of comments to the effect that they were not very up on digital. I paid $650 for the one I took back so I think it’s worth $200 for a used one that seems to be a good copy.

I took a few shots today at the cemetery and so far am liking the sharpness of this lens. I did notice that it does not like focusing at 70mm with all the focus points activated. I think that is my camera though as it is always a bit skittish with faster lenses.

Curious
    Participant

if that shop is like computer stores there are good, ok and virtual know nothings. i often wonder how the latter stay in business.

guess i ought to play with my focus points more. both lenses seem to hunt some or use a point i didn’t like/want so i just use the center one now. i’ll focus, hold the shutter at half and shift composition to move the focus point as needed for the finished shot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘New Lens!! :)’ is closed to new replies.