New to DSLRs, Flickr, and Farktography!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery New to DSLRs, Flickr, and Farktography!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dokool
    Participant

Hey all,

I’m the same dokool as on TFark and… well, everywhere else.

I got a D50 back in December for my birthday, as I’ve moved to Japan and I wanted to keep a travelblog (http://www.dokool.com) of my journeys. I set up a Flickr account and have uploaded quite a bit, but I really have little idea how the Flickr community as a whole works so I’m not quite sure of the best way to get feedback, given all of the many ratings groups there are.

I usually only take my camera out for two things – if I go to an area I haven’t been to and want to take photos, or if I’m going to a concert. I’m a film/video guy, so it’s much different having the perspective of needing to capture one moment… instead of being able to capture an entire event. I don’t think I’ll ever stop editing video, but I think I much prefer going out and taking photos to going out and taking video – it’s certainly a lot easier to be spontaneous with my D50, big as it is.

Anyway, my Flickr account is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dokool/sets/ (this goes straight to my Sets), and basically I’m looking for feedback on everything except the Misc sets and the Tokyo Packing sets. My Tsukiji and Kabuki-cho sets are among the favorites of my friends, and I’ve even dabbled a little into HDR as well.

Of recent note was the set I took at Shinjuku ACB Hall for a punk/ska show – I contacted all of the bands that performed and gave them the URL, and they all reacted positively, a couple of the labels even linked to them from their pages. I love doing concert photography and videography and I’m hoping to maybe make some cash on the side (or at least get comp tickets) doing it, so any advice on that set and my other concert set would be very much appreciated. Most of the pics are un-commented, but each set has a description that usually includes what my settings were and which lenses I used.

Thanks in advance! よろしくおねがいします!

staplermofo
    Participant

Holy crap, you’ve got guts bringing your camera to shows like that. I’m not even comfortable with a plastic cup of beer that near a perpendicular person.
    Those are amazing shots, I’m blown away.

edit:
    I was so blown away I forgot my one bit of useful advice, needs more staplers. Ito-ya makes some sweet staplers. Sexy color-coded cartridges.

dokool
    Participant

Holy crap, you’ve got guts bringing your camera to shows like that. I’m not even comfortable with a plastic cup of beer that near a perpendicular person.
    Those are amazing shots, I’m blown away.

😯 Really? Thanks 😳

Honestly, I had little idea of what I was getting into – I knew it’d be a punk show, and I’d figure there’d be a pit, but I had no idea it’d be the ENTIRE VENUE. Afterwards, the girl who told me about the gig said “That was 10x more intense than I was expecting,” and she’s a Tokyo punk scene veteran. I usually go to more alternative/indie shows with far less action going on (much smaller venue, too). When it comes to punk/ska, I’m hardly into the music but the energy was off the charts, so I hope to find more shows of that type to capture one way or the other.

I should also point out that I cut my videography teeth on the 2003 anti-war protests, so after a week of getting chased by cops, accidentally stepping on burned flags, and nearly being pepper-sprayed, a pit doesn’t really intimidate me as much. Doing the protests did a lot in teaching me to be aware of my surroundings, especially in volatile situations like a giant mosh pit.

One thing I did learn was that UV filters are bitch-and-a-halfs, especially when they get sweat/dust/etc on them mid-show. I ended up just tossing my filter into my bag at some point and just having my lens cloth ready.

veruca
    Participant

welcome to farktography dokool! i love your sumo set. hope to see you around the contests. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Welcome! Nice shots indeed!

Curious
    Participant

well you all and your flickr pages here’s mine http://www.flickr.com/photos/57055068@N00/ just did this today to have a flickr page too.

the photos there were just stuff i grabbed from web ready pictures on my HDD. given time i’ll add and organize it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

’bout time you got a Flickr acct, Curious 😉 I added you as a contact (you too, dokool 🙂 )

Curious
    Participant

i have a website http://www.davesweblife.com/ that needs the galleries reworked. given the various time and project constraints i have flickr seemed an easier out. as my thousands of images are sorted the better ones will go up on flickr first and then onto my website when that is redone. got new web authoring software that i have to learn how to use before the website can be fixed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘New to DSLRs, Flickr, and Farktography!’ is closed to new replies.