New toy – Thomson Dual Rail Linear Bearing Sytem

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware New toy – Thomson Dual Rail Linear Bearing Sytem

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    stupido
    Participant

I got a new toy. A Thomson DSRC-8 Dual Rail Linear Bearing System. It is about 3 foot long and has two platforms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomson-DSRA-8-Dual-Shaft-Rail-Linear-Guide-w-Modular-Carriage-/150955179794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2325a13f12 shows a small version with one platform.

I got mine free from work. The rails are a bit discolored but everything moves nicely. So what to do with it?

3D photography? Macro rail? Or?

ravnostic
    Participant

Take pics of the stars from scenic areas with panning. That’s where I’ve seen it employed most. Strong foreground element, galactical background; gold.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Greg Aielo and company (of the show “Motion”) employ them a lot for DSLR video mode landscape panoramas to great effect.

orionid
    Participant

Want.

bender16v
    Participant

I’ve been looking at making something like that out of some old linear bearings I have out in the garage but I haven’t gotten around to it. I wanted to put a ball head on it, or mount it to a ball head, and add a lead screw with an ultra-fine pitch to try to do focus stacking macros. Or just for regular macros, when the DoF is so thin it would be nice to be able to get the camera adjusted perfectly parallel to the subject and at the correct distance.

Yoyo
    Participant

Want.

Well, of course you want it. We all know that.
    I had to double check the original post to see that it wasn’t you that found this thing in the first place.

The real questions is “What would Orionid do with this?”
    Cough it up. Start spilling your guts.
    We can take all the time we need until you crack.

DIY 120 format panoramic camera?
    Strip camera, perhaps? ( http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2043 )
    Long exposure ‘zooms’?

We must know!!!

stupido
    Participant

Indeed what would Orinoid do?

Basically, me: “you are throwing that out?” My manager: ” I never said that” me: “So what are we going to do with it?” Manager: ” I don’t know, it just seemed to be a waste to scrap it” Me: “can I have it…”

Lost a couple of bearings on one of the carriers but it seems OK otherwise.

Yoyo
    Participant

It’s good to know that I’m not the only person who uses the top of the dryer as random crap storage.

stupido
    Participant

It’s good to know that I’m not the only person who uses the top of the dryer as random crap storage.

If I get a front loading washer, I can double my random crap storage….

orionid
    Participant

Want.

Well, of course you want it. We all know that.
    I had to double check the original post to see that it wasn’t you that found this thing in the first place.

The real questions is “What would Orionid do with this?”
    Cough it up. Start spilling your guts.
    We can take all the time we need until you crack.

DIY 120 format panoramic camera?
    Strip camera, perhaps? ( http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2043 )
    Long exposure ‘zooms’?

We must know!!!

Well, I would start with something like this: http://vimeo.com/6686768

Other thoughts that come to mind would be using it to drive a motion amplification system or a macro rail as previously mentioned. Linear motion is hard to take advantage of in photography outside of simple panning. I think the real value here is in time-lapse photography.

/Re: slit-scans – I have several half-built projects that I just haven’t had time to work on lately. But I do plan on using them to photograph an entire train at some point.

chupathingie
    Participant

If I get a front loading washer, I can double my random crap storage….

hmmm… there are others out there doing this…

/mine is practically obscured.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘New toy – Thomson Dual Rail Linear Bearing Sytem’ is closed to new replies.