night time shots

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery night time shots

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    zincprincess
    Participant

The family went to a hot air balloon festival this weekend. They have a nighttime show where they light up the balloons. I bumped the ISO up to 800 or 1200 and turned on the noise reduction. This allowed me to take shots at a reasonable shutter speed without blur. I decided not to haul the tripod, although I should have.

Thoughts, suggestions?

chupathingie
    Participant

looks like you made the right choice, IMO… those things look so cool lit up.

Curious
    Participant

they look good to me.

lokisbong
    Participant

Very nice.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Cool!

ravnostic
    Participant

+1 as they are. A little cropping on the left on the 2nd one, but I think the exposure choices are right for these shots.

orionid
    Participant

Agreed with all above, nice shots!

LeicaLens
    Participant

Nice, especially the first one.

I once went to a balloon festival, hoping to get some cool night-time shots of the balloons (they had a similar show planned to yours, zincprincess).
    The missus and I sat around on a grassy bank for 3 and a half hours in quite chilly mid-autumn weather, waiting for the show to begin, me with my camera all set up.
    A couple of balloons sort of started to inflate. Then, nothing.
    About an hour later, after we had been waiting easily over 4 hours, an announcement was given then the show was cancelled due to the weather (too much wind).
    We then enjoyed an hour’s wait for the train to take us back to civilization.
    Lovely.

We did, however, get to enjoy a beautiful sunset, so all was not lost.
    http://flic.kr/p/8GgSQm

aprillove20
    Participant

what a nice shot you got. that was very lovely capture and wonderful.
    hoping i could do that one of this day. can wait to share my picture to.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

exposures look great, especially the 2nd. lots of rich colors, with nothing being blown out.
    as ravnostic said, cropping/composition could be toyed with. personally, for the first i’d crop so the people are lower in the frame, use the blank sky as negative space (or even the other way around). with the 2nd shot, the partial balloon at left draws my eye more than it should.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘night time shots’ is closed to new replies.